Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can you see the signs of the times?  (Read 3096 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Can you see the signs of the times?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 12:52:04 pm »
Snow night before last.  Frost last night.

Goodness!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 01:55:00 pm »
It's far from spring yet in Nebraska.  I don't remember how many times I've seen snow on May Day.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 12:15:17 pm »
HoneyPump. Confession time.
Is that you in the photo, or a meme copied from the web?

That one is off the web, but is EXACTLY what is going on here. The March sun radiant power is warm, but the air is still cold and well below freezing.
It does not look like we will be seeing flying weather above freeze temperatures until after Easter weekend.
Right now, busy clearing off snow for lay down areas.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2023, 08:29:22 am »
90"s is southern FL.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2023, 06:35:52 am »
38 F this morning.  70's yesterday.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2023, 09:57:42 am »
It always astounds me how you Canadian beeks can pull so much honey from so short a nectar window.
But then I suppose you don't have 2 or 3 months of scorching dearth, when they eat through their honey stores, which we hope to recoup in the fickle fall flow.
I suppose there are difficulties everywhere.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2023, 08:19:10 am »
Bob there really is something to acclimation.  Bees are far more motivated to prepare for winter up north.  I think plants are too.  Just with the few hives I have had down here the bees seems to be more la-da-dy on the foraging side.  Now that could be the fault of the plants but I suspect having perfect flying days everyday has something to do with it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2023, 07:08:35 pm »
Acebird, my bees slowed down for two weeks after a March cold snap. Just beginning to get fervid again.

I think this is an interesting crowd-sourced data study on how soon spring arrives in each area:

https://www.usanpn.org/nn/springcasting

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2023, 06:51:20 am »
It must have been crowding 80 F yesterday and it's 36 F this morning.  Supposed to get down to about 29 F before the day is over and then back up around 40 F.  The bees were sure happy yesterday...
-------------------

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2023, 04:47:56 pm »
Beautifully expressed. I respect your emotion a great deal, Aaron.  Yes, we?re always learning.

Here?s something for all of us:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/02/bees-intelligence-minds-pollination
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2023, 06:25:58 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/02/bees-intelligence-minds-pollination
Interesting article.  I'm sorry, but I can't begin to understand why this is so revolutionary.  I would think it would be obvious that an animal that can learn is an animal that can feel, otherwise how else would it learn?  And anyone who has been around bees and actually worked with them knows they don't only react instinctively, right?  If I am working a hive and I squeeze a bee between two frames, she buzzes and struggles to be let out and then continues to be irritated for a few minutes, in spite of the fact that I haven't hurt her.  It was obviously a negative experience for her, and an insect who can remember the way home after flying 3 miles away could easily remember other things. 

There is a carpenter bee male who has set up his territory in front of our garage this year.  The other day, since messing with male bees is fun because there are no consequences  :grin: , I snuck up on him and snagged him out of the air.  I didn't hurt him, just held him in my hand for a few seconds, during which time he struggled and buzzed, and then I released him.  He is now wary of me when I approach, and if I hold up my hand like I'm going to grab him again, he flies away.  How else would he have learned if he didn't remember the negative experience of being caught, and especially that he DID remember it as negative, in spite of the fact that nothing bad actually happened?  He obviously acted afraid, he experienced the threat that I might be a predator, and he is now responding to avoid feeling and experiencing that negative situation again.  We would call that "feeling afraid".  It wasn't instinctive, since he didn't try to avoid me the first time.  I don't need any fancy scientific equipment to observe this.  How else could this type of behavior be explained?  I don't understand what the alternative to sentiency could be in an organism that is obviously so complex. 

It reminds me of Robert Frost's "A Considerable Speck".     
A Considerable Speck
(Microscopic)

A speck that would have been beneath my sight
On any but a paper sheet so white
Set off across what I had written there.
And I had idly poised my pen in air
To stop it with a period of ink
When something strange about it made me think,
This was no dust speck by my breathing blown,
But unmistakably a living mite
With inclinations it could call its own.
It paused as with suspicion of my pen,
And then came racing wildly on again
To where my manuscript was not yet dry;
Then paused again and either drank or smelt?
With loathing, for again it turned to fly.
Plainly with an intelligence I dealt.
It seemed too tiny to have room for feet,
Yet must have had a set of them complete
To express how much it didn?t want to die.
It ran with terror and with cunning crept.
It faltered: I could see it hesitate;
Then in the middle of the open sheet
Cower down in desperation to accept
Whatever I accorded it of fate.
I have none of the tenderer-than-thou
Collectivistic regimenting love
With which the modern world is being swept.
But this poor microscopic item now!
Since it was nothing I knew evil of
I let it lie there till I hope it slept.

I have a mind myself and recognize
Mind when I meet with it in any guise
No one can know how glad I am to find
On any sheet the least display of mind.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2023, 11:05:57 pm »

Interesting article.  I'm sorry, but I can't begin to understand why this is so revolutionary.  .
[/quote]

The author of the book- Steve Buchanan - thinks it?s pretty revolutionary:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1642831247?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

By the way, thank you for posting that beautiful Frost poem.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2023, 12:05:14 am »
The author of the book- Steve Buchanan - thinks it?s pretty revolutionary:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1642831247?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Maybe I should read it, perhaps it would explain it to me more.  I'm not being rhetorical or sarcastic, I'm literally just trying to understand.  Am I in the minority of people who assume most animals, even small ones, are sentient?

By the way, thank you for posting that beautiful Frost poem.
Oh you are welcome.  :smile:  I love Frost, I have a copy of his complete works.  If you are interested in other good ones from him, you might try "Mending Wall", "A Hillside Thaw", and the ever popular "The Road Not Taken".       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2023, 07:42:57 am »
Member,
You are definitely not alone. I laugh at scientists that try to reach that animal?s don?t have feelings or that they only have instinct.
I once saw my matriarch cow crying. I had never seen or heard of a cow crying. I?m walked behind her and she showed signs that she had just miscarried her very premature baby. She only cried for one day.
My dad once had a wasp building a nest in behind his ceiling panels above his porch. He decided to block it from getting in to her nest. Every time he did something to block her, she out smarted her and got in. This went on for several minutes and sh would watch my dad as she worked around every thing he did. He was so impressed with her smarts/problem solving that he stopped trying to keep her out and let her build her nest.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything