Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Huitlacoche/Corn Smut  (Read 1728 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Huitlacoche/Corn Smut
« on: August 06, 2022, 05:26:23 pm »
We managed to grow a couple ears of sweet corn this year, and we picked them earlier in the week.  One of them was . . . unique looking to say the least.  :grin:  Anyone ever seen this in their corn before?

We did some looking online about it and it's apparently called corn smut.  It's a fungus which infects the kernels of the corn and basically takes them over, turning them into mushroom-like galls that produce spores.  This fungus is completely edible and is very popular in Mexico, where it's been eaten since Aztec times.  They call it Huitlacoche, and in English it's called Mexican truffle in food circles, since "corn smut" isn't very appetizing.  :cheesy:  We pulled the galls off the cob and sauteed them in a little butter and salt, and honestly it was pretty good.  Some of our galls were a little too old and were mostly black inside with spores, which tasted bitter, but the young white ones had a nice flavor, sort of part mushroom, part corn.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Re: Huitlacoche/Corn Smut
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 07:05:34 pm »
Interesting. May need this advice by next autumn the way things are headed. But honestly I would have to be pretty hungry.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 08:07:41 pm »
Interesting. May need this advice by next autumn the way things are headed. But honestly I would have to be pretty hungry.
You know, that's exactly what my dad said.  He wouldn't even try it, and I just don't understand why you or he is freaked out by it.  You eat mushrooms, don't you?  So this is just a mushroom that grows on corn, that's all. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 07:55:09 am »
Back before fungicides got popular we used to see it all the time.  We just threw it away.  Never tried to eat it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 12:38:52 pm »
If you close your eyes... :cheesy:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 08:15:11 am »
  So this is just a mushroom that grows on corn, that's all.
Some mushrooms are poison.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 11:18:32 am »
Some mushrooms are poison.
Some mushrooms are not poison.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 01:49:38 pm »
Old thread I just happened to come across. Huitlacoche is pretty delicious. I spent my teenage years growing up in Mexico. Learned to love all kinds of food I wouldn't have likely come across in New England. I ate huitlacoche whenever I was somewhere it was available
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 04:35:18 pm »
I've had my bouts with that stuff and I'd say that you're pretty brave to eat it, even though I have read that when harvested at the right time it is supposed to be good. I do eat mushrooms though, so if someone else went first, I might give them a try.