BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Did my hive die of Hive Beetles?

(1/2) > >>

tjernigan:
I believe in just 14 days my hive got ravaged by hive beetles. Am I correct that the maggots I see inside some of the pictured cells are hive beetle larvae?

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: tjernigan on June 21, 2021, 12:23:29 pm ---I believe in just 14 days my hive got ravaged by hive beetles. Am I correct that the maggots I see inside some of the pictured cells are hive beetle larvae?

--- End quote ---

Welcome to Beemaster. I can not see the image clearly enough to tell, even with the picture blown up. My personal experience with SHB is definitely a clear understanding. There will be little maggots crawling around everywhere, all over the frame, and you should see grown SHB darting in and out of the cells. Along with this there will be a messy, gooey, slippery gleaming slime throughout the honey frames. The honey will be ruined.

Ben Framed:
Adding, what I can see which is vage, looks what might be varroa mite frass along the edges and inside of the cells. If the picture was a little clearer, it would help. Hopefully others with better eyesight than my own can help you further.

The15thMember:
I agree, the picture is a little small, a little low res. but I don't see any SHB larvae.  If you are referring to the larvae that are sitting in the bottom of the cells, those are just dead bee larvae.  SHB and waxworms will pay no attention to the comb cells and will just chew through and destroy as they walk around, they don't just sit in cells like bee larvae do.  I also see quite a bit of mite frass, so I'd be inclined to think it's varroa that's the true culprit. 

BeeMaster2:
Welcome to Beemaster.
I don?t see any sign of SHBs. Hard to tell what it looks is. Try posting more pictures.

Jim Altmiller

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version