BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

I think I replaced frames in the wrong order

(1/2) > >>

OhMyBees:
Hi y'all!

I think while inspecting my hive, I put brood frames back into the bottom brood box in the wrong order. What might happen if I did that? Should I go out and inspect today after having inspected just yesterday and check? I have this lingering anxiety that i've just doomed my hive! I worry I put a frame that was in the middle near the outside.

Also - I have a 2nd brood box that the hive has started to fill out with nectar. However, there is one frame down the the deep brood box that has remained totally untouched. The bees have built out nearly all of the other frames in the deep brood box, and comb has been built on nearly all frames in the 2nd broood box. But that one frame on the bottom just has nothing. Should I do anything?

Thanks for the help!
-A new beekeeper

iddee:
Don't worry about the misplaced frame. I switch frames all the time for many different reasons. The bees will adjust them the way they want.

As for the untouched frame, If it is plastic, duraguilt, or other non-wax foundation, I would replace it with another frame. If it is all wax or starter strip, I would move it toward the center of the box and if not being drawn in a week, I would replace it.

The15thMember:
I agree with iddee, this is absolutely nothing to panic about.  Generally it is better to replace the frames in the right order, just because the bees know where they have put everything and it's less disruptive, but I also move frames to different locations for different reasons throughout the season.  If they really hate where you put it, they will just rearrange. 

Sometimes bees will draw frames in a strange order, I'd just give them a little more time, or if you really want it drawn, move it to the middle like iddee said. 

Ben Framed:

--- Quote ---I agree with iddee,

--- End quote ---

Same here....

beesnweeds:
I use my queen marking pens to write the year on one end of the frame, that way the frame ends are in the same order.  Its good to know how old the frames are so you can cull them out. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version