BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Got my first swarm today

<< < (4/4)

.30WCF:
There is plenty of room and they had a box of foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.30WCF:
Here is a few more pics under the hive.

BeeMaster2:
WCF,
When you place a swarm in a hive with a screen bottom, you need to put a board under the hive to keep them from trying to build like yours are.  If you are transporting them, you do want to leave it open. I just made the same mistake last. As soon as I brought them home I used a brush to get them off the bottom, GENTLY.
I recommend that you pick up the box and move it off of the bottom board, if you have a spare one put it on it, and then shake the bees in front of it or open the top and shake them into the hive. Then remove the comb. Remember to put the hive back in its original location.
Jim Altmiller

paus:
I had this problem when I installed my first screened bottom board.  Then I built the first DSBB which has been modified many times.  That solved that problem.

.30WCF:
This was an established hive that returned itself. I guess the returning queen just missed the front door. The second swarm I caught came from this hive that I had been thinking was queenless. It had too many emergency cells I let mature while waiting on her to mate and return.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version