BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Follow the bloom 2021

<< < (2/11) > >>

Bob Wilson:
Strange that bees will pull pollen from one type of camelia, but leave other varieties alone.
My bees are pulling in a lot of pollen right now.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on January 24, 2021, 10:15:16 pm ---Strange that bees will pull pollen from one type of camelia, but leave other varieties alone.
My bees are pulling in a lot of pollen right now.

--- End quote ---
Maybe those other varieties are pollenless.  Sometimes flowers bred for a specific color or petal type end up sterile. 

Also, Jim, shouldn't this thread be stickied?       

BeeMaster2:
Yes.
🙂

Bob Wilson:
15, True, about the hybrids. I have past work experience in the nursery business, but the whole bee aspect is something that never came up. We dealt with issues like sterility in a hybrid, not whether it provides nectar.
At HoneyPumps encouragement, I keep hive notes, and that includes everything I see blooming in our county. I am surprised at how many flowering plants are ignored by honey bees.

CoolBees:
An update from the west coast: eucalyptus, some almonds, and a few decorative Plums have begun flowering. Nectar has begun to flow. A little early though. I just harvested 45 lbs of honey, to make room in a couple hives.

We had very little rain till now - temps up into the low 70's. Now it's decided to storm good. Our forecast is for 30%(+/-) of the years rain in the next 7 days*. There's snow on the hills behind the house. That should wash our the nectar, and reset the bloom to mid February, putting it back on schedule.

*we get around 15 inches of rain per yr here, and there's 4-5 inches in the forecast. Around 2 inches fell last night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version