Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spacing the first frame in a horizontal hive  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Spacing the first frame in a horizontal hive
« on: May 12, 2020, 06:37:13 pm »
One of the difficulties of a horizontal langstroth is getting to the first frame. I have to slide each and every honey frame backwards, to get to the brood nest.
Can I leave some space between the first frame and the hive's entrance wall, where the brood nest is? That way, I can push the first frame closer to the entrance wall, and have room to pull out the second frame without rolling the bees or squishing the queen.
How much room can I leave without them building more comb in the gap?
A frame pushed flat against the entrance wall, with its side bars touching the hive front wall, has 1/8 inch space between the top bar and the wall. Any two frames pushed together have 1/4 inch between their top bars.
Can I pull the first frame's side bars 3/8 inch back from the wall, which will leave 4/8 (1/2) inch between the top bar and the entrance wall?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Spacing the first frame in a horizontal hive
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 06:55:33 pm »
Mine have about 1/4" between endbars and front wall.  You could probably get by with a little more.  As long as that frame is drawn straight they will tolerate a little more space without too much burr comb.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 07:43:57 pm »
That makes 3/8 inch between the top bar of the frame and the hive body wall. Thanks Cao.

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
    • Ihor Pona Architectural Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:14:10 pm »
I agree: I use 3 - ⅛" spacers at entry before the first bar/comb for my 2 TBHives.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 05:30:19 pm »
Thanks. I spaced the first frame back a little bit in two of my hives today. It will make life easier next time I go in.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 06:39:57 pm »
Bob,
Keep in mind that bee space is about 5/16?. By having a 3/8 of an inch gap, you are real close to bee space.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 09:14:31 am »
In a normal Lang if the hive is not crammed for space they will tolerate a lot of space.  The problem with a long hive is you are forcing the bees to go horizontal when they want to go down.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bobsim

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 05:35:07 pm »
  Hi Bob, my boxes have a 'baffle' for the first bar. It's a 3/4" thick piece of one by material attached to a brood bar and the perimeter of it is about 1/2 an inch short of touching the sides and bottom of the box. I don't remember where I got the idea but I suspect it's from Michael Bushs' site, basically it's a follower board with a bee space.

My boxes have side entrances so the bees enter the hive and go around the 'baffle' (for lack of the proper name for it.) Anyway....it helps with inspection of the brood area by just removing it and you have a 1 1/4" space to work. Sometimes the bees will burr it in place but it's still easier to work that than moving all those honey bars. It gets so hot here I hate to cut the honey combs from the attachment to the hive unless I plan to harvest.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 08:06:04 am »
Thanks, Bobism. I had forgotten that idea about using a follow board at the entrance. Sometimes I read about an idea, but forget it, because there was no application need at that time.