Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4th open air hive removal.  (Read 2287 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
4th open air hive removal.
« on: July 24, 2018, 10:50:14 pm »
 I was over my buddy?s house when a mutual friend stopped by and while she was there she mentioned that there was a swarm of bees in a vineyard that she was taking care of and she couldn?t do any work. She said that she didn?t know what to do with them. I told her that I did and I would take care of them.
My buddy, Benny Joe, took me to the vineyard and we found it. It turned out to be a open air hive in the vines. Benny Joe has never worked bees before but he helped me remove this one. He was amazed at how calm the bees were as I removed it from the vines. I did not have to use any protection. There are a lot of bees in this hive. They not only covered the comb, they covered it with at least 2 inches of bees.
There was no honey in the comb. Everything they collect is being fed to the larvae.
I wanted to take more pictures but when I am removing them, I tend to forget about everything else but the bees.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
Re: 4th open air hive removal.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:44:37 am »
Nice one, thanks for sharing, looks like you did a grape job. Did you band the comb into frames?
Are open air hives, or colonys, common over there? I don't hear of them here in Oz, not in my circles anyway.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 12:50:33 pm »

I wanted to take more pictures but when I am removing them, I tend to forget about everything else but the bees.

Ain't that the truth.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:14:23 pm »
Nice one, thanks for sharing, looks like you did a grape job. Did you band the comb into frames?
Are open air hives, or colonys, common over there? I don't hear of them here in Oz, not in my circles anyway.

Open air hives are not very common here but I did just finish another one and we are on our way home with it.
Yes. I used rubber bands.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin