Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tree Trapout in Sanderson FL.  (Read 9234 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Tree Trapout in Sanderson FL.
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 05:43:19 pm »
Read the link you posted, Ace. He did not get the queen with the Hogan method. He gave up and killed the remaining bees. I have seen a lot of posts like that. I think the queen catch % is low on the Hogan method with first timers. Cleo developed the method and likely has much better luck. Jim got those two queens because they were new swarms that had just moved in and had not gotten the brood nest built out well. They had no stores and the queen came out because of a lack of food and support.  There are always wax moth and SHB eggs in a hive. The honey would be destroyed if you didn't allow it to be robbed out immediately.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 06:04:46 pm »
The honey would be destroyed if you didn't allow it to be robbed out immediately.

But will they rob it out immediately?  My last remaining hive is a LW hive and I stood it on edge over a week ago.  The bees haven't left and it is totally vulnerable.  This is my experience with offering honey or cappings when there is a flow on.  they totally ignore it.  It is pouring now.  I will see if that makes any difference.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 06:39:09 pm »
Brian,
What Iddee said except I did not kill any bees. In both cases all of the bees were out for several days to a week before i sealed them up. I doubt there was any honey left in them, one had just swarmed before I always.called and the other was a swarm that had moved in a week before I was called.
Down here, by the time the queen moves out, the SHBs are hatching if not before.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 06:42:37 pm »
Jim, it was the link Ace posted that killed the bees, not you.

Ace, I'm betting if you shook all the bees off the frames and set the hive up against a strong hive they would move the honey quickly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 07:03:01 pm »
"Hold on a minute men I need to pop some more popcorn
 and refil my glass. 😂"

...heh, pop a bucketfull and grab a jeroboam, the action scene doesn't
begin until the Eltalia Method gets into this script!

Apart from the earlier similarities posted EM departs entirely from those
touted, and salavages all bees within 7-9days, cavity stores removed
within 14. All weather permitting as it is all about timing. ;) ;)

BM

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 07:05:46 pm »
(edit)
Ace, I'm betting if you shook all the bees off the frames and set the
hive up against a strong hive they would move the honey quickly.

Exactly.

Bill

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 08:34:36 pm »
Down here, by the time the queen moves out, the SHBs are hatching if not before.
Jim
How sad.  So the hollow of a tree is cleaned out before the next swarm moves in.  I am beginning to think that in FL it is not how well you manage honey bees but how well you manage SHB.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 08:36:40 pm »
Ace, I'm betting if you shook all the bees off the frames and set the hive up against a strong hive they would move the honey quickly.
Wally, I sold the other strong hives.  The next strongest hives might be two miles away.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:20:17 am by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 11:16:21 pm »
Jim
How sad.  So the hollow of a tree is cleaned out before the next swarm moves in.  I am beginning to think that in FL it is not how well you manage honey bees but how well you manage SHB.

Ace,
You have to keep your hives strong, compared to the sized of the hive. Also my bees know how to keep SHBs under control. Not all bees know what to do and the SHB will slime it. I suspect that if you brought in bees from a non beetle area that the beetles would take over the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 08:18:38 am »
I suspect that if you brought in bees from a non beetle area that the beetles would take over the hive.
Jim
I agree with this.  And it makes me wonder how you could completely trap out an established hive in the south.  It takes weeks for a normal trap out and each week it gets weaker and weaker.  How many days does it take the hive beetle to take over the hive?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2018, 09:49:34 am »
When the bees stop keeping the beetles locked up, they start laying thousands of eggs. In about 3 days the larvae start hatching out. It the bees don?t remove them, they start sliming the frames. Sometimes only one or two frames are slimed. The bees move out when all of the brood is slimed.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2018, 09:57:07 am »
So would you estimate that you only have about a week from the time the trap is first placed that the beetles will slime the hive?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »
So would you estimate that you only have about a week from the time the trap is first placed that the beetles will slime the hive?
Ace,
The hive will still have plenty of bees after a week, depending on the starting size, to keep the beetles under control. It isn?t until a large number of nurse bee are forced to to bee field bees that the hive becomes too weak to keep them under lock and key.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2018, 08:58:23 am »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2018, 11:16:48 am »
@Acebird

As you likely know Brian that fella has copped a lot of flak
in another place for his early technique(s), unjustly I thought
so I tried getting to help him out in yet another place. But it
seems the damage from the dogpile was so brusing "the finger"
was the only response I saw.
This video shows he is still at TO 101 near on a year later!

Your SHB mention was noteworthy aa I have never given them
a second thought and might now change the last stage of my
Method in consideration of timing, albeit I complete inside of
14days, weather permitting sometimes 9.

Bill

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2018, 05:21:56 pm »
@Acebird
As you likely know Bill that forum is noted for a lot of flak.  Pretty sad that personal attacks are allowed to continue.  I continue to visit it behind the scenes because I learned at a very young age that many good ideas come from people who don't have 29 years experience.  I really don't know the guy but in his video he exhibited problem solving skills and a willingness to dig in.  That gets a thumbs up from me.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2018, 09:49:12 pm »
@Acebird
As you likely know Bill that forum is noted for a lot of flak.  Pretty sad that personal attacks are
allowed to continue. 
Not so much in the Commercial subforum which owns a professional approach.
The sale never saw a change in my view so no subscription from this desk.
I continue to visit it behind the scenes because I learned at a very young age that many
good ideas come from people who don't have 29 years experience.  I really don't know
the guy but in his video he exhibited problem solving skills and a willingness to dig in. 
That gets a thumbs up from me.
I reckon I know him fairly well, beekeeping wise. And yes, certainly back then I
identified a keenness(passion) for actually saving (rescue) bees.

Bill

anything