Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When that little light above your head goes on...  (Read 2277 times)

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
When that little light above your head goes on...
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:22:53 am »
So my home yard hives are outside my office window and I get to do quite a bit of watching daily as I work....and it always struck me as odd how much more activity there seemed to be in the hives on bright sunny days vs days where it was a little cloudy or even broken occasional clouds.....and it struck me yesterday that its "apparent activity" I am seeing not always "actual" LOL...there are twice as many "bees" working the hives in direct sun than indirect sun because of all the "bee shadows" looping around as they come in for landings and take off.....these show up really well on the white hive bodies and give the impression they are twice as busy as they really are....was sort of embarresed when the thought hit me but wanted to fess up and share my AHH HAA!!! moment with you all.

Any one else want to share similar beekeeping moments when something so insanely obvious finally hits you and makes you a tad embarrassed you never thought of it before?  :oops:
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
Re: When that little light above your head goes on...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:59:46 am »
it always struck me as odd how much more activity there seemed to be in the hives on bright sunny days vs days where it was a little cloudy or even broken occasional clouds.....

I think that's true though. I've observed them not flying during warmer temps with cloud cover and no sun, and watched them fly during cooler temps but with full bright sun. Talking like 45*F vs. 35*F. I was right next to the hive though, so no shadows. lol

Well, it's my first winter with them and we've had tons of snow, even down here in the valley. They were confined inside for a good month or more, when they finally had a break and got some relief.  For a week there I observed a large amount of dead bees each day in front of their hive. It was still very cold though. Maybe in the low teens. I really didn't know how many dead was too much but it just seemed like too much each day. I spoke with a uk beek I know who told me the sun was probably so brightly reflecting off the snow, they definitely thought it was warmer than it was, tried to fly to cleanse, and perrished. That was my AHA! moment. He told me to shade the entrance and that solved that.  :grin:
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!