Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question for you ProVap users.  (Read 1341 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Question for you ProVap users.
« on: September 22, 2019, 03:25:24 am »
I have a question for you Provap users. Do you regularly replace the o-ring which is used as the seal for your cap, the cap seal?  I am curious as about how many times a cap o-ring can possiabley be expected to last before it needs to be changed? 
Thanks,
Phillip
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:07:12 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Question for you ProVap users.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 10:02:50 am »
Phil, my seals are intact on my provap and I have been using 2-3 years.  The rubber is as good as new.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:13:02 am »
Thanks Mr Van, the provap is quite a tool!
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:54:36 am »
I?ve never had a problem with mine and I agree it is a great time saver

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:17:50 pm »
The Cupped lids of the provap are inexpensive.  It made of heat resistant plastic and holds the Oxalic acid.  I have several, I place one on each hive top preloaded with 2 grams of Oxalic acid.  Then I approach the hive, turn the provap upside down, press the lid on, insert the gas tube into the hive, turn provap rite side up and 8 seconds later, finished and in to next hive.

I stuff soft flexible foam into the entrance so the OAVgas does not escape.  After about 2 minutes, I remove the foam to open the entrance and in another 2 minutes all appears normal.  I have precut foam.  I will post a pic.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 12:25:16 pm »

The long foam is to seal a 10 frame entrance, the shorter foam is for a nuc.  Precut so the foam just fits easily into the entrance and is so soft as to not crush any bees. Fast, easy, gentle on bees.
Van

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 01:06:11 pm »
The Cupped lids of the provap are inexpensive.  It made of heat resistant plastic and holds the Oxalic acid.  I have several, I place one on each hive top preloaded with 2 grams of Oxalic acid.  Then I approach the hive, turn the provap upside down, press the lid on, insert the gas tube into the hive, turn provap rite side up and 8 seconds later, finished and in to next hive.

I stuff soft flexible foam into the entrance so the OAVgas does not escape.  After about 2 minutes, I remove the foam to open the entrance and in another 2 minutes all appears normal.  I have precut foam.  I will post a pic.
Van

Now that is a good idea. I have not seen foam used. I like it!

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 06:23:24 pm »
I just started replacing mine. I had it unit for three years and treat 35 or so hives with three round per year. The get brittle and come apart. They don?t leak excessively without the o ring.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 08:44:56 am »
Ben,
My o ring has changed after repeated use. If I put the cup on and turn it over , it leaked real bad. I have learned to put it on and let it heat up, then fill it and use it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything