Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1 gallon Mylar bags for shipping Honey  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
1 gallon Mylar bags for shipping Honey
« on: March 26, 2015, 11:42:31 pm »
Hi everyone... been a while but have a question about shipping honey. Has anybody used the Mylar to ship via USPS? Results if you have?? I have a man on the mainland wanting a gallon shipped to him. I don't really want to try and ship in glass containers. I see 1 gallon Mylar bags available but have never used them before. Any thoughts?

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
Re: 1 gallon Mylar bags for shipping Honey
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:55:55 am »
My thought is, 2 half-gallon plastic containers, each heat-sealed inside a 1 gallon mylar bag as a safety barrier against leakage. (you could do 4 plastic quart container, each sealed in mylar if you prefer)

Of course, you may have other thoughts and my mind wanders at times.

:cool:
"Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation." - Milton Friedman

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 07:43:45 am »
It's a real pain for whoever gets the honey in a bag. They are usually not used to dealing with honey.  I ship a gallon in 2 half gallon fruit juice containers in the medium flat-rate box, and have yet to have a problem. Shipping that much honey in glass, is asking for trouble.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:28 am »
My thought is, 2 half-gallon plastic containers, each heat-sealed inside a 1 gallon mylar bag as a safety barrier against leakage. (you could do 4 plastic quart container, each sealed in mylar if you prefer)

Of course, you may have other thoughts and my mind wanders at times.

:cool:

This is more or less what we do. We also try to have some crystalized bears & jugs - less chance of a mess. No problems, ever.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:18:39 pm »
Plastic bottle inside a plastic bag to catch any leakage, well packed in 2 or 3 inches of bubble wrap. 
Remember, unless you are shipping boxed bottles by the pallet, your single 1 gallon package is going to be subjected to the abuses inflicted by freight workers under pressure to pitch freight as quickly as possible.  I literally mean 'pitch'.   They will throw packages even when labeled Fragile etc. and they don't give a tinker's daxx which end is up.

Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:07:33 pm »
The Postal service has rules and regulations regarding the shipment of liquids.  You might read them.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:02:47 pm »
Thanks for all the advise.... I did ship one gallon in a Foodsaver bag, double sealed. Has a little seepage on that one. I sent several that were in smaller packages and they all got through. I did get the mylar bags and will try those next time. 

anything