Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best place to buy beekeeping gear online in aus?  (Read 4032 times)

Offline JD-BEE

• New Bee
Best place to buy beekeeping gear online in aus?
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:23:33 am »
Hay all,

We have recently just got our first hive, which was a 2nd hand flow hive with bees that we bought off a family friend at a great price. After already seeing the benefits of the bees on our farm with the veggies we are looking at expanding to get another hive or 2.
However, after looking online it doesn't seem very viable to keep purchasing flow hives so we are looking at just getting some regular 8 frame langstroth hives but have noticed there to be considerable variation in the pricing on australian websites.

We are basically need everything you need when starting beekeeping as all the equipment like our smoker, tools, and bee suit are borrowed off the same person who sold us the hive and we want to return it as soon as possible.

We would like to get some decent quality gear but don't want to pay an absurd price so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

We won't need the bees just yet as we will hopefully be getting some off a local on the north coast when spring comes.

Cheers,

JD

Offline kanga

• House Bee
Re: Best place to buy beekeeping gear online in aus?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:11:42 am »
Hi JD & welcome to Beemaster.
If you could indicate your location it may help with the reply re a supplier that may be close to you.
Kev

Offline JD-BEE

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:34:57 am »
Hay kanga we are on the north coast of NSW near Coffs Harbour. As far as i am aware there are no major suppliers of bee keeping equipment within a decent driving distance which is unfortunate :(

Offline chorrylan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 06:49:12 am »
The "Beekeeping Classifieds Australia" group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/562832800575211/?ref=bookmarks  would be a good place to snoop and/or ask around.

Offline JD-BEE

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:50:39 am »
Thank you Chorrylan i will check it out :)

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:37:28 am »
JD

You are within the area covered by Mid North Coast Beekeepers Association and a lot of the clubs carry equipment at reasonable rates. If not they would be in a position to advise.
If you do not wish to go down that path then Penders Beekeeping supplies carry a good range of quality equipment, I have also dealt with Hornsby Beekeeping Supplies. I know there are a lot of others and hopefully someone from around your area may reply.

Kev

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »
Freight is a killer on small orders adding substantially to the cost.
I have been getting most of my gear off Hornsby Beekeeping. Im lucky in that I usually have a family member travelling to Sydney every couple of weeks. I phone my order through and pay over the phone, they put it together and I get someone to pick it up. Their Mt Druitt store is only about 5min off the M7 so works well for me.
I'm sure most of the suppliers would do like wise so if you know someone that travels past one fairly regularly you can eliminate the freight costs.

Offline JD-BEE

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 03:49:36 pm »
Thank you guys, i will definitely look into going to a local beekeeping association meeting next time there is one on. It will be great to get some more information and advise off some locals.

I will check out the suggested websites, i may wait until we go visit family in sydney next and pick up some larger items to help bring down the total cost rather than paying for freight.

Offline chorrylan

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 01:36:49 am »
nuplas.com.au dont have a big range but have fixed price freight of $30 regardless of how much you order

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

anything