Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is your state law to protecting property?  (Read 4306 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
What is your state law to protecting property?
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:26:38 pm »

You can not shoot to Protect Property. If someone steals a four wheeler from your yard, you still can't show a weapon or you'll be on the way to jail too. Unless you are in immanent sever  harm or belief of possible death, you can not discharge a firearm. End of story - I know there are many states where I wouldn't want to be a burglar there.

So what can you legally use your weapon to defend?

Here, life and life of others.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: What is your state law to protecting property?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:22:27 pm »
Here, life and life of others is the only way you can discharge a weapon in an altercation.

However, you can use it as a show of force, without pointing it at the person. Simply pulling it out and holding it to your side, pointing down, is a legal way to stop an aggressor.  Open carry is also legal, so it also shows the person you are armed and it might be better to back off. Once you point it at a person, you might as well pull the trigger. The consequences are nearly the same.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:29:53 pm »
Can't use deadly force to protect property in Nebraska.  If you are fear of your life or safety you can defend yourself.  I don't think the law is that specific otherwise.  I don't know that you are "required" to flee first...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:32:46 pm »
I believe ga. Is a stand your gound state. Don't quote me on that tho.

John

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:46:37 pm »
Utah, shoot to protect yourself, another person, or your property.  No retreat required, though avoidance is recommended.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 05:59:01 am »
FL is definitely a stand your ground law. The anties are always attacking it. They demanded the governor re look at the law, last year and the answer was, there is nothing wrong with it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:26:02 pm »
Just from my point of view.  I can't see abandoning my house because some criminal decides to break in.  As far as I know I can make a citizen's arrest and call the cops.  If the person is not threatening me and they run, I am no allowed to shoot them.  If they attack me, I'm allowed to defend myself.  I certainly would not want to kill someone over some property.  It would not make moral sense to me.  Someone a few years go in Omaha, was working in a store and a 16 yo kid walks in, picks up some beer and walks out the door.  The proprietor chases him down the street with a gun and shoots and kills him.  The store was closed, the proprietor charged with murder.  The kid is dead.  Not only would I have trouble living with myself if I killed someone over something so minor, just from the point of view of the consequences, I would not want to wreck my life and my family that way.  I tend to like "stand your ground" laws just because they at least delineate clearly that I don't have to run from a criminal who is trying to steal my property or attack me.  I don't know that I'm required to anyway, but in some places it has been interpreted that way.  I seriously doubt that the incidents that have been presented by the media as being caused by "stand your ground" laws would not have happened anyway.  Belligerence and stupidity have always been around before those laws and will continue to be around regardless of the law.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything