Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Just be kind of careful with open feeding.  Later in summer it may attract unwanted pests and robbers.  Another good reason to put your jar/bucket/etc. in an empty deep over the inner cover and cover the empty.
I agree.  It will also feed all the bees within 3 miles, making you waste syrup and potentially ruining someone else's honey crop by lacing it with sugar water. 
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 17, 2024, 10:36:27 pm »
OK, thanks. I opened the bottom box, which has empty frames in it and I can see, and there were a few bees in there and some came out when I opened the window. They either went back home for the night or moved up into the top box, which I can't see into without a ladder and some effort because when I checked at dusk, all activity had ceased. The bee cam is nice because it alerts me to activity and I can watch them live.
TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES / Re: A full 30 frame Layens
« Last post by Bill Murray on May 17, 2024, 10:20:08 pm »
Just my personal opinion NO. But with that said keep an eye out. My personal opinion isnt always correct. It depends on temp, humidity,and the dirt above the hive.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Bucket Feed Question
« Last post by Bill Murray on May 17, 2024, 09:47:59 pm »
I use buckets all the time. I moved to them 3 or 4 yrs ago I have not had the problem you are addressing. That being said please explain in a little more detail what you saw. Might not be the feeder per say might be the Holes/screen the lid not being sealed etc.,etc., etc.,

Sorry I misunderstood. Your saying the water is running under the bucket?
« Last post by Kathyp on May 17, 2024, 09:45:02 pm »
Just be kind of careful with open feeding.  Later in summer it may attract unwanted pests and robbers.  Another good reason to put your jar/bucket/etc. in an empty deep over the inner cover and cover the empty.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by gww on May 17, 2024, 09:39:11 pm »
I wouldn't put more lemon grass oil on while they are still looking though I have before but just being around the trap or putting your ear to it won't matter.  The bees could care less about you being there.  I once had a swarm move in while ten feet away they were putting up a pup tent and there was lots of traffic and a big party going on.  The people putting the tent up didn't even notice the bees moving in till I pointed it out to them.  I have stood 6 inches from the entrance while they moved in.  Remember, I told you I sit for hours watching them trying to catch them move in when I see activity.  I don't think you can do too much to bother them though I used to be pretty scared of that till I had a few swarms move in while I watched.  I am a smoker and so always thought that might bother they and I do watch the wind a little but don't quit smoking and they still come if what I have is what they want.
« Last post by FatherMichael on May 17, 2024, 09:03:11 pm »
I built a fairly substantial community feeding station of cinder blocks and a concrete foundation with a 3.5 gallons bucket feeder with 30 holes.

Have not seen a single bee at it probably because Mesquite and American Basketflower are in full bloom.
TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES / Re: A full 30 frame Layens
« Last post by Bob Wilson on May 17, 2024, 08:38:09 pm »
Occam.
I don't use follow boards. Maybe I should, but it didn't seem to make a difference in my beginning years. And George Layens, who said he did, said in his later years that he didn't. However, I DO have bees all in the box, walking around in both my Layens and my Long Langstroth.

Bill.
All this cross comb is my fault because I didn't think to add a wedge to the top bar of the foundationless frames I was building from scratch. Since the Layens top bars touch at top, the bees had a solid, flat ceiling above them.
The question is can I trust the summer/fall drop in population not to expose the frames to encroaching hive beetles. As of right now, I have not seen a single hive beetle in the last two months.
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 17, 2024, 07:37:15 pm »
I have a chicken waterer out with rocks in it for the bees to have water but they are not using it. Using it as a syrup feeder sounds like a good idea an even putting it in there as a waterer might work.
« Last post by Salvo on May 17, 2024, 06:52:47 pm »
Hi Folks,

I've used the one-gallon pickle jars in the past, but inside a deep, with an outer cover. BUT, the deep box is 9.25 inches. The jar is ten inches tall. I used a shim. AND, I never liked the idea that a change in temperature and barometric pressure could shower my brood chamber.

I generally use frame feeders, but a *one-gallon Chicken Waterer* fits in a deep nicely. They are cheap and each lasts forever, but you must lay rocks, marbles or something in the actual trough of the waterer so that bees don't drown.

Also, with frame feeders, make a parfait spoon part of your tool kit to scoop out the few bees that get wetted when you fill them.

I recently picked up a couple of one-gallon jugs, spring loaded onto a feeder bowl, much like the chicken waterer, but made for bees. I haven't used or even cleaned them yet, but they look good.

Sal

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10