Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observations from some new colonies  (Read 2325 times)

Offline chux

• House Bee
Observations from some new colonies
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:09:36 pm »
I've got a trailer with 11 hives on it. 9 of the hives are first year. Come from cutouts or smaller swarms. Most of the new colonies are in a single deep, building out foundationless frames. I went into the hives 9 days ago and found that most of them had nearly filled, or had completely filled, the deep. I added a medium super with foundationless frames to those that were ready. Went back yesterday and one of the colonies had filled most of the super with pretty, straight, nectar filled comb. The one beside it had filled half the super with "wonky" comb. Looks like they started well, but the heat caused some comb to fall. They started building up and out. Weird shape. Totally un-salvageable. All that time wasted. I took all of the messed up super soft white wax out, and then interspersed a few built out frames from the other hive, to help them keep a straight line this time. The other colonies I gave a super too, haven't touched it yet. They are less than a half mile from a cotton field that is just starting to bloom. I believe they are in the right place and time to build out that super and have plenty of stores for winter.

I ordered foundationless frames from Kelley, over the winter. They were simple to put together, and the price was right. The bees have done well on them. Most of the comb is centered well and straight. They do tend to curve the outside couple of frames a bit, but you are probably going to get that with most foundationless frames. Still, it isn't unmanageable.

Offline chux

• House Bee
Re: Observations from some new colonies
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 03:23:38 pm »
Went back to the trailer today. All of the mediums I added were filled with white wax comb, heavy with cotton nectar. Most of it was straight. I can't believe how fast they can fill a medium of foundationless frames. I added another medium to all hives, bringing up half the drawn comb frames in a checkerboard fashion.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:31:56 am »
Congratulations. Getting them to draw here this time of year is like pulling teeth, I have a few of hives halfheartedly pulling for the Sumac that is coming in, but usually after july 1 its a tough gig. Even when feeding. Hows cotton honey?
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:34 am »
Cotton honey is very light in color and flavor. Most people say it crystalizes quickly. I haven't had a really bad time with mine crystalizing. Everybody I have given/sold some to, said that they loved it.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:49:35 am »
It seems that, no matter what, I always have one or two colonies that like to build cross comb. They'll take a nice drawn out super and mess it up. Most just have an occasional cross comb. This year I got lucky with a swarm that is drawing them out exceptionally straight & beautiful - no cross comb. 

So far, they've pulled out ~45 medium frames ( I started them on some old drawn). I only fed them enough to get them going. The rest has been due to an exceptionally strong summer flow, following a very wet spring.

The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 12:45:57 pm »
I usually end up a lot of cross comb in my swarm traps, 1 old drawn frame and 4 empty medium frames. The last swarm built the 4 frames perfectly. I used one frame of eggs for 2 nucs of queen less bees. I put the rest of this hive in my observation hive, all 4 frames vertically, full of brood with a 1 1/2" of honey in the top of each frame, with 4 empty frames next to each full frame. When I put them in there in the beginning of July, the bees just barely covered the frames. Now they have drawn all 4 frames just as nice as can bee and are starting to build in the space under the bottom frames and there is a softball size swarm on the outside of the entrance.
I have not been able to find any swarm cells but I plan on splitting them this weekend. When the ball of bees outside gets as big as it is right now they usually start going into swarm mode.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:03:11 pm »
I keep a stack of Mann Lake PF 120's handy, they are all plastic, one piece frames.. When I must start a new box of foundation less frames, I will drop three of these in to break up the large open space. Typically the bees ignore the plastic and get to drawing the foundation less, and this allows me the time to pull the plastic and drop in another foundation less frame to keep them in line...    This wont stop them from drawing one of those foundation less frames out to double thickness and mucking up the works, but if caught in time I use my 12 inch fillet knife and shave it back.   Yes its more work to go foundation less, but time vs money wise I have the time and not the money to buy a lot of new foundation. So it works out well.

Yes, Once in a while I get wierd bees that decide to draw the plastic first.. I just leave it in there, but usually they dont do that.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 05:34:22 pm »
I have never had wonky comb with foundation less. Aside from the frames that came with nucs I have never needed to do anything special to get them to draw it out.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 05:35:12 pm »
Chux,

I met a guy that had 25 hives and he kept them all around his cotton fields. He absolutely loved the cotton honey. I'm sure that's what mine are working now, and have been for about a month. I just pulled some honey, it's as dark as sin and good as heaven.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:28:49 pm »
I have never had wonky comb with foundation less. Aside from the frames that came with nucs I have never needed to do anything special to get them to draw it out.

Give it time Eric, it will happen, it will happen even if you use foundation. Sooner or later you will have bees that refuse to do anything right.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 08:34:19 pm »
Chux,

I met a guy that had 25 hives and he kept them all around his cotton fields. He absolutely loved the cotton honey. I'm sure that's what mine are working now, and have been for about a month. I just pulled some honey, it's as dark as sin and good as heaven.

If the honey is very dark, I would surprised if it is cotton honey. All I have seen and heard about cotton honey is that it is very light. Maybe yours is a different type???? Do you know what type of cotton is around your hives?

Eric, Some of my hives seem like they will always only build straight. Others refuse to build straight without lots of help. With 30 hives, I'm seeing some great variety. I'm glad you haven't had trouble with wonky comb yet. I hope that blessing continues for you, but doubt it will. 

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 09:57:41 pm »
I doubt it will continue forever but I will enjoy it while it does. I have had to do some very minor straightening on the ends but they seem to like my comb guides. I have tried several different styles and they all have worked for me. I have not tried the wax string or wax bead. I doubt that would work at all.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

anything