Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mite Away Quick Strips - expiration question  (Read 2660 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Mite Away Quick Strips - expiration question
« on: April 26, 2019, 01:22:14 pm »
Let's say a beek has several treatments left in his pail marked with the expiration, 11/18.  I understand it is actually illegal to use MAQS past their expiration date.  Your opinion:  Would you toss them or use them?
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Mite Away Quick Strips - expiration question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:12:44 pm »
2sox,
I bought a pale of Miteaway strips many years ago and before using them I did a test in an empty hive. My hives have screen tops and bottoms. In a few days, I had holes in the top and bottom. Per the directions there is almost no time here in Florida when you can safely use them because of the temperature requirements.
Eventually I tossed it.
Jim Altmiller.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:27:20 pm »
2sox,
I bought a pale of Miteaway strips many years ago and before using them I did a test in an empty hive. My hives have screen tops and bottoms. In a few days, I had holes in the top and bottom. Per the directions there is almost no time here in Florida when you can safely use them because of the temperature requirements.
Eventually I tossed it.
Jim Altmiller.

Bummer.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 01:54:02 am »
I would use them. Keep them in the freezer until you do, they keep better that way (according to a trusted and intelligent beekeeper who talked to the manufacturer) though it does not change the expiration date.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 02:32:18 pm »
I would use them. Keep them in the freezer until you do, they keep better that way (according to a trusted and intelligent beekeeper who talked to the manufacturer) though it does not change the expiration date.

Thanks.

anything