Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frost Warning For My Area Tomorrow night.  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Frost Warning For My Area Tomorrow night.
« on: March 17, 2023, 05:58:16 pm »
With the expected freeze coming tomorrow night, 25 F in my area and clear skies, things do not look so good for the plants in bloom for my area.  Bummer  :happy:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Frost Warning For My Area Tomorrow night.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 07:21:39 pm »
Ugh, I'm thinking the same thing.  We had very cold temperatures earlier in the week, but the humidity was low, so we didn't have a frost.  The tulip magnolias always take the cold pretty hard, and some of the cherries lost some of their blossoms, but it wasn't the wholesale massacre I imagine we'll see when we go out to walk the dogs Monday morning.  :sad:  Our low tomorrow is 18F!  Hopefully our goat Murphy won't decide to have her babies before Wednesday.  If she does, we'll be more bundled up than we were for Prim's kids in January!  :shocked:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 11:04:28 pm »
Question.
How will this late freeze (27? Monday morning) effect the honey flow usually two weeks from now. Do major flowering trees like Tulip Poplar in our area recover or does honey production in the hive suffer for that year?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 11:50:37 pm »
Question.
How will this late freeze (27? Monday morning) effect the honey flow usually two weeks from now. Do major flowering trees like Tulip Poplar in our area recover or does honey production in the hive suffer for that year?
We had a late freeze last year and we basically didn't have our normal early flow as a result.  We were right at the peak of bloom though.  I don't know, but my guess would be that, depending on when in the bloom the freeze falls, some plants will be able to set some new buds, but some can't. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 01:38:12 pm »
Question.
We had a late freeze last year and we basically didn't have our normal early flow as a result.  We were right at the peak of bloom though.  I don't know, but my guess would be that, depending on when in the bloom the freeze falls, some plants will be able to set some new buds, but some can't.

My honey collection was down as well last season. I am expecting the worse while  hoping for the best under the circumstances.

"How will this late freeze (27? Monday morning) effect the honey flow usually two weeks from now."

Good question Bob. I for one do not know how it will affect the flow two weeks from now as this is a critical time for my location. Redbuds and Tulip Poplar are in bloom right now here, so is Henbit, most likely they will be a bust after the frost associated with the freeze?
As for the plants due to come into bloom two weeks from now;  As you, I sure would like to hear some answers or opinions from more beekeepers who have experienced such through the years.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 08:41:14 am »
We've just reached the point where SOME mornings I don't have frost.  And most mornings I do.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 10:39:14 am »
We've just reached the point where SOME mornings I don't have frost.  And most mornings I do.
I am in the same boat as you, Michael.
The forecast makes me think I might be able to do something with the hives day after tomorrow.
jimmy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 02:03:08 pm »
It was above 40 this morning!
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 07:41:26 am »
63 F this morning.  Supposed to be 34 F this time tomorrow.  Maybe Spring is right around the corner...
-------------------

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 07:51:41 am »
63 F this morning.  Supposed to be 34 F this time tomorrow.  Maybe Spring is right around the corner...

One can hope. Nothing below 40s in the forecast here but you never know. Might get snow next week
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 01:45:15 pm »
I hoping that we don?t get frost again until next winter. Nothing in the next 10 day forecast. Pastures are starting to grow and a hard frost would really set them back. Plus we have a lot of trees starting to bloom that could bee damaged.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023, 10:41:32 am »
Now come on guys    I still have three feet of snow on the ground and a temp of below zero last night   Ha

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 11:32:02 am »
We are just back to cold rain again.  Couldn't stand the chicks in the house anymore so they are out in the coop being encouraged to be hardy!   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 12:09:05 pm »
Put a heat light on them in a hut with access in and out and they will be fine...

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 03:24:55 pm »
Freezes are gone here.
We have honey suckle blooming. I have heard that it is one of the signs that the flow has begun.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2023, 03:26:12 pm »
Put a heat light on them in a hut with access in and out and they will be fine...

I hardened them off before I pitched them out.  They seem to be doing fine and we have finally been above freezing at night.  They huddle and the old hens put out enough heat to help out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything