Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: splits  (Read 543 times)

Online Bill Murray

• House Bee
splits
« on: March 04, 2024, 08:35:30 pm »
So I get really crazy questions on splits all the time. Personally I dont make splits per say, I want my bees going into the nectar flow as strong as they can be. so I cut out a couple frames above a DSBB every 10 days and that is my swarm prevention and splitting. I would be interested how everyone else adresses this.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: splits
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 11:05:41 pm »
That?s interesting Bill. I would like to hear more please Sir.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 12:24:44 am »
I'm actually thinking about doing a hive or two like you described with my Snelgrove board this year, so I'd be interesting in hearing about your method as well, Bill.

I usually will split a colony if I'm looking for increase, just because I feel it's easier than letting them swarm and having to catch it.  I really don't do anything fancy though, I'm not even sure what the "name" of this split is or anything, I just sort of divide up the colony however seems best.  I'll move the frame with the queen, a couple frames of stores, and a couple frames of brood into another box.  Then I just let the original hive make a new queen, and everyone is good to go.  I just be sure to remember that the section with the new queen is going to lose foragers to drift back to the original colony, so I need to be sure they have enough food to withstand that lack of nectar coming in, and of course, I make sure the section that is now queenless has plenty of eggs.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 07:04:37 am »
I really don't do anything fancy though, I'm not even sure what the "name" of this split is or anything,

If you let the Q-ve box make it's own Queen, then that's usually referred to as a 'Walkaway Split' (as opposed to giving the Q-ve box a Q/Cell or Virgin, or introducing a mated Queen). I don't make splits myself, although I do know that this is a very popular method of making increase with hobbyists.

The main issue with 'Walkaway Splits' is getting the hive 'locations' right - with the box holding the old queen being moved to a new stand, and the Q-ve (Queenless) box staying on the old stand where it will benefit from the forager workforce returning there, the youngest of which will revert to nurse bees.

Meanwhile, within the Q+ve (Queenright) section on the new stand, the oldest of the nurse bees will shortly be elevated to forager status, a little earlier than would normally have happened.
'best,
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 08:43:20 am »
I really don't do anything fancy though, I'm not even sure what the "name" of this split is or anything, I just sort of divide up the colony however seems best.
It is called a "walk away" I do even less.  I divide boxes and let them go.  Using all mediums it is likely that the brood nest spans at least two boxes.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 11:04:05 am »
Day 1 pull a frame of just hatched larva, a good feed frame (plenty of pollen/nectar ), and a frame of capped brood. Leave bees on the frames Put these on top of the DSBB shake 1 -3 frames of nurse bees in with them, (make sure your queens not on any of the frames going ontop) put entrance to rear of hive. If your using the snelgrove open the top door at rear all others closed.

10 days later you should have capped queen cells. Move capped QC frame food frame and bees on them to mating nuc. And reload the box above the DSBB, install an imirie shim on top of the parent hive to allow the now foragers to reenter the parent hive, and face entrance on DSBB to front. If using the snelgrove open bottom entrance to rear and top entrance to front. If they fail for some reason to make cells put those frames back in the parent box and start again.

10 days later, you will have capped cells above the DSBB (reload these), reverse entrances and your queens in the mating nucs should be hatched. If not move frames back into any hive.

In another 10 Days when you again are reloading above the DSBB, and reversing entrances the Queens in the mating nucs will be mated and laying. Move the mated ones into nucs. If small, deformed, not mated etc. cull and start again with new frames
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 07:44:56 pm by The15thMember »

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 10:30:48 pm »
  I really don't do anything fancy though, I'm not even sure what the "name" of this split is or anything, I just sort of divide up the colony however seems best.  I'll move the frame with the queen, a couple frames of stores, and a couple frames of brood into another box.  Then I just let the original hive make a new queen, and everyone is good to go.  I just be sure to remember that the section with the new queen is going to lose foragers to drift back to the original colony, so I need to be sure they have enough food to withstand that lack of nectar coming in, and of course, I make sure the section that is now queenless has plenty of eggs.   

I usually call moving the queen with some of the bees an artificial swarm.  I call a walkaway split more of splitting the hive in half and only checking that there are eggs in each half.

anything