Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First stings of the year!  (Read 1827 times)

Offline phil c

• House Bee
First stings of the year!
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:30:41 pm »
65 degrees today and I got into the hives! Went out with just my veil, no gloves, the populations look pretty good! My #2 hive was a little cranky though, as soon as I lifted the inner cover they decided that I just wasnt welcome! caught 2 on my right hand.
I saw a few bees bringing in some white colored pollen. @ hives look like they are going to be good split candidates!
LIFE IS GOOD!

BTW wearing my long sleeve flouresent yellow work shirt wasnt a good idea, I think the girls thought I was a big ol flower! they were landing all over me. I thought about spreading my arms and singing out like Ace Ventura, but my daughters think I'm weird enough already!
AMC cars, Jeeps, Mineapolis Moline Tractors, Bees, More stuff than I have time to play with

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: First stings of the year!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:59 pm »
You don't say, but it sounds like you didn't use smoke.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:36:14 pm »
Don't wear cologne... I just happened to take a quick glance around the beeyard last week... bending down to take a peek at one of the entrances... and POW! 4 to the face!  :shock: I realized too late I had splashed some cologne on before heading out to dinner!!

Needless to say... I had some explaining to do over drinks and steak. "No I was not involved in a domestic dispute...!"

,,,DOUG
KD4MOJ

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:39:21 pm »
what you smell like aside, when you bend over to look in an entrance what you look like to the bees is a robber.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline phil c

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:49:41 am »
Nope no smoke and only the cologne nature leaves me with after a day of work!
AMC cars, Jeeps, Mineapolis Moline Tractors, Bees, More stuff than I have time to play with

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:07:50 am »
No smoke is guaranteed to get you a quick Apitherapy treatment. Maybe not every time, but much too often for me. I ALWAYS use smoke.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 09:52:31 am »
I had been keeping bees about 5 yrs, had built up by catching swarms..Got a call during supper a large swarm about a mile away, grabbed  the stuff, made the quick trip, got there and realized I had forgotten my gloves, did have the headgear.. I knew when I got close these girls were not happy, did it anyway, scraped 41 stingers out of my left hand before my eyes swelled shut, got a ride home my wife scraped out about that many more in various places, only time to make a trip to the dr, bee related,. Caught quite a few after this without  a problem, but never again without gloves, at least handy..Take care have a good day

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:08:09 am »
I went out to make sure my one remaining hive was still alive on Tuesday evening (45 degrees). I opened the telescoping cover and they were not very happy with me. I only took one sting fortunately, but I'm swelled up from my elbow to my fingers. My wife wanted me to go to the Hospital. It's really not that bad, it just itches. The swelling will go down in a couple more days. At least it wasn't my face. From now on I'll use smoke anytime I look and it's above freezing. Thanks for the tip iddee.
Tim

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »
OUCH!!

I have learned the hard way--bees really do not like the smell of my hair spray.  Also learned the hard way-- if you have other livestock (not really sure if bees count as livestock) but anyway--the smell of other animals is not welcomed.  I went out last year to check the hives after doing chores with our flock of sheep & they literally attacked my boots.  Needless to say, I now have boots designated as "bee boots" that don't get used for chores.  Weird, but a lesson learned! I supposed the smell of other animals triggers the defense mode.
Sleep is overrated!

anything