BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Gas box for drawn frames

(1/6) > >>

BeeMaster2:
Has anyone tried using carbon dioxide or other gas in a closed container to kill SMB's/wax moths, their eggs and larvae when removing drawn comb from hives?
I am thinking of building a box or using an old freezer, since it is already pretty air tight and adding an inert gas into it to protect the comb.
Will it kill the eggs as well as the larvae and bugs?
Jim

Michael Bush:
CO2 will kill the eggs as well as the larvae and the adults.

iddee:
So will freezing for a few days.

eltalia:

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on August 08, 2017, 12:36:21 pm ---Has anyone tried using carbon dioxide or other gas in a closed container to kill SMB's/wax moths, their eggs and larvae when removing drawn comb from hives?
I am thinking of building a box or using an old freezer, since it is already pretty air tight and adding an inert gas into it to protect the comb.
Jim

--- End quote ---

Putting on my Year10 Dux of Chemistry hat - which is a tad moth eaten itself, Jim - like what our "Greenies/TreeHuggers" approve of as a method to despatch canetoads (bufos marinus [sp?]) CO2 kills by asphixiation (sp?)
in depriving said toads of oxygen. Given all eggs have a membrane to allow oxygen and moisture to penetrate in sustaining the egg I would deduce likewise applies.
So yes, and I would offer "Dry Nitrogen" is maybe cheaper and easier to handle and also could be used to pump up your vehicle tyres! :-)

Cheers.

Bill

BeeMaster2:

--- Quote from: eltalia on August 08, 2017, 05:40:34 pm ---
--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on August 08, 2017, 12:36:21 pm ---Has anyone tried using carbon dioxide or other gas in a closed container to kill SMB's/wax moths, their eggs and larvae when removing drawn comb from hives?
Jim

--- End quote ---

Putting on my Year10 Dux of Chemistry hat - which is a tad moth eaten itself, Jim - like what our "Greenies/TreeHuggers" approve of as a method to despatch canetoads (bufos marinus [sp?]) CO2 kills by asphixiation (sp?)
in depriving said toads of oxygen. Given all eggs have a membrane to allow oxygen and moisture to penetrate in sustaining the egg I would deduce likewise applies.
So yes, and I would offer "Dry Nitrogen" is maybe cheaper and easier to handle and also could be used to pump up your vehicle tyres! :-)

Cheers.

Bill

--- End quote ---

I will check into the nitrogen. I did not think it would be cheaper than CO2.
Jim
Jim

--- End quote ---

Cheers.

Bill

--- End quote ---

Jim

--- End quote ---

Cheers.

Bill

--- End quote ---
I will check into the nitrogen. I did not think it would be cheaper than CO2.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version