Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught off guard  (Read 1510 times)

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
Caught off guard
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:22:18 am »
I was  moving wood down to my wood pile and 1 of my hives swarmed while I was stacking wood. This is one of the oddest springs I have ever seen. 10 to 25 deg above norm temps and everything is happening at least a month earlier than it should. I have never seen a swarm this early and was completely cought off guard. AT least I was able to catch them

Offline cinch123

• New Bee
Re: Caught off guard
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:22:13 am »
Man I'm glad I have swarm traps out. I know NE Ohio is behind you down there in KY, but it doesn't look like Winter will return anytime in the next couple weeks here - best to have the boxes out and available!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:10:06 pm »
I am wondering with all the warm weather if I should have planted the garden sooner rather than waiting for Good Friday.  I have been expecting some swarms but have been too busy working to watch over.  Good catch on that swarm.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:27:14 pm »
Allen I planted a month ago now in south louisiana! Earliest I ever planted and usually plant march 21st area.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:34:40 pm »
Yup, Kinda crazy isn't it. I think this long warm spell allowed them to catch some flow off the maples. It's usually to cool for them to bring much of it in. I have never seen them build up this early this quick and thats the only thing I can think of.. They were building burr comb on the inner cover! I threw a undrawn supper on the old hive to let them work on and the swarm hive is building like mad.

anything