Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Springtime In The Rockies...  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Springtime In The Rockies...
« on: September 19, 2009, 12:46:37 am »
...The rocky harsh inland of Queensland, that is.

As it is 19 days into Spring, a couple of people know to call me if they find a swarm, so I'd like to be prepared.  We caught one swarm last year but it has survived more due to perseverence on the bees' part than knowledge on mine. 

If I capture a swarm, how do I arrange the super, and should I use a small nuc box rather than a 10 frame?  I have heard that you don't put honey frames in for a swarm.  I have a few spare drawn comb, but not many.  In your opinion, what is the best way of arranging the super from one side to the other, with stickies/brood frames/plain foundation etc?

Do swarm kings such as JP leave it in quarantine for a while to make sure it doesn't have AFB?

Lone

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Springtime In The Rockies...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:57:41 am »
swarms are like packages.  they really love to build comb.  if i have a frame of drawn foundation i will give them one.   the other frames will be starter strips.  you'll be amazed at how quickly they'll build them out.

i use a 10 frame box right from the start.  you don't need to worry as much about space if it's warm unless you have a wax moth problem.  in that case, you might want to start a really small swarm in a nuc.

you can use a queen excluder between your bottom board and super if you wish.  i only do it when i catch a swarm close to home.  i don't want them taking off again if i can help it. 

i usually feed a swarm for the first couple of days because it helps anchor them and they are hungry.  if there is a good flow, a couple of days is enough.

i leave them alone for about a week, then check for eggs. 

i don't quarantine mine.  i  know some people do.

as soon as you have them in the box, get your frames in and your space right.  because they love to build comb, you can have a real mess quickly if you don't.

good luck.  take pictures!!!!!

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:22:20 am »
Thanks Kathy for all the advice.  I've never used starter strips.  Would I cut foundation into strips and put a couple of inches at the top of every frame?

I don't think I can put in a queen excluder as the bottom boards have been screwed on.  Does anyone ever put bars at the hive entrance to do the same thing?

I still haven't had a call about any swarms!  I do know where there is a wild hive in a tree, but I'm waiting until I have enough spare honey frames to help them settle in.  One colony we took didn't stay 24 hours, but I think they might have joined with a weaker hive, because their numbers swelled after that.

Lone

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:23:21 am »
Lone; Kathy gave you some good info. If you think about it, swarms are moving to a new home and are expecting/prepared to build comb when they get to the new place. They'll build new comb overnight; I've caught many swarms and had them build enough comb for the queen to start laying the next day! As for the mechanics, we usually capture them in an 8 frame box unless it's a small swarm; we only use foundation but a frame of drawn comb will get the queen started laying sooner, and we start feeding 2:1 syrup immediately. For your particular bottom board setup I would cut some plastic excluder the right size to close the entrance completely and staple it on; remove it after the queen is laying good. We have boxes already set up with the excluder in place for catching swarms. So far this year my son and I have caught over 20 good swarms and have had only 2 of them leave again. For the smaller swarms we drop in a couple frames of capped/emerging brood to get them built up quickly. We don't do any cutouts but catching swarms is well worth the effort!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:06:50 pm »
Lone,

I love swarms. I prefer them over packages. They are wax building machines! Feeding them syrup and some drawn comb puts them in an even higher gear. I size the box to the swarm size. Most go into a 10 frame deep from the start. Small size up to double fist go into a nuc to start. Five gallon pail size go into two 10 frame boxes to start. A excluder on the bottom is usually not necessary. Out of the 150+ swarms we hived last year, only two or three left after hiving.

Good luck, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan