Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cut off date for splitting large hive in Autumn (fall)  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
cut off date for splitting large hive in Autumn (fall)
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:57:27 am »
Yes around my side of the world the days are getting shorter. Last week we still had one day reach about 35 degrees C (that's about 95 F), but it really shouldn't be doing that now that its late March.

Anyway, I noticed my large scary colony still had a large scary population; all the bees were bearding covering the front of the hive. Its about a double brood with with two deeps of honey on it at the moment. I haven't checked them in a while because they are the bees from hell, they chase the (neighbours for about two days afterwards), so my inspections haven't been very frequent on that hive.

ANYWAY, I want to split it. However, I'm not sure about creating another colony and letting them become accustomed to a new queen this time in the season, and really unsure about letting them raise their own. I think they have the number, and there is plenty of honey on the hive to feed them through the winter. My hope is that i will have two decent colonies next spring which I can requeen with a more docile strain. Getting them to raise a new queen should give them something else to do aside from stinging everything that moves two :)....hmm maybe not but splitting them up will help.

So I'm wondering if it would be successful splitting nearly one month into autumn, although the weather as stated above is quite warm.

Thanks everyone,
James.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: cut off date for splitting large hive in Autumn (fall)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:06:16 pm »
Not only do I not know your climate in general, yours is backwards.  :)

HERE, I wouldn't do a split and expect it to get through the winter past the end of July (two months before the fall equinox).

But we have harsh winters.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything