Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What Should I Get Off of My Neighbor?  (Read 6270 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
What Should I Get Off of My Neighbor?
« on: November 18, 2023, 09:29:58 am »
My neighbor is going to work on his frames this weekend and I think that getting some used stuff for the hives I want to start next spring would be a good thing. I think he's going to spend some time cleaning up his frames and I am under the impression that used foundations and old comb would entice a swarm to move in and make a purchased nuc feel more at home. Am I wrong? If I'm right, what should I get? He has offered me frames and I am offering to trade him some of my new ones in exchange. Mine are wax coated, plastic foundation. I'd also like to know if I could collect any or all of the wax that he's going to discard for any reason? Can old wax be cleaned up and filtered somehow?

Oh, and I have a freezer that I can use to freeze anything and everything before storage. I picked it up just for this purpose.

Thanks for the help.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: What Should I Get Off of My Neighbor?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 11:22:59 am »
I started with all used stuff.  yes, some old wax can be rendered.  Even if it doesn't come out clean, you can get enough from it to paint your frames.  That old wax smell will help with swarms and packages.

There is risk with old comb, but less if you know his hives are healthy.  I got some from an old beekeeper and I froze the frames and then I bleach dipped them and let them air dry before putting them in the hive.  This doesn't kill everything, but will get most of it. 

DO NOT use anyones favorite pots and pans for rendering wax!!   :grin:   Grab a couple of beaters from Goodwill and use those.  Also either some paint strainers or cheese cloth to strain the old wax.  Trick taught to me:  Strain the wax into a pot of hot (not boiling) water and let it cool.  You'll end up with a nice wax disk on top of the water that is easy to remove.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 01:15:58 pm »
I agree with Kathy.  If you want the wax to paint foundation or attract swarms, anything will work, in fact that dark comb smell is what bees like the most.  If you are rendering wax to use for yourself though, I find the black comb just doesn't generate enough to be worth the effort.  As Kathy said, every single pot, spoon, bowl, etc. MUST be dedicated for use with wax only, because the stuff is literally impossible to clean off.  What I do to melt wax is break up my wax into smallish pieces, and tie it all up in some cheap cheesecloth.  Then I fill up my crock pot (which is only used for this) with water, put the bag of wax in it, and put it on low for several hours.  The wax will melt out of the cheesecloth, leaving the slumgum (the bee parts, used cocoons, and baby bee poop) in the cheesecloth, which can then be removed with a tongs.  Throw out the cheesecloth, turn off the crock pot, and the wax will solidify on top of the water.  As Kathy said, cheap utensils, bowls, and even crock pots, can all be found at your local thrift stores.   

If you want drawn comb to use in your hives long term (i.e. you aren't just trying to get the oldest blackest stuff to attract a swarm), try to go for frames that have yellowish (basically light brown or lighter) wax.  Older comb can harbor pesticide or miticide residues, and of course, be sure to at least freeze the comb first before giving it one of your hives.  Drawn comb is gold for helping a bee colony grow, since it takes the bees eating 8 pounds of honey to make 1 pound of wax.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 01:34:39 pm »
well, I'm not so sure about pots from goodwill ...

A way to get your wife involved with your hobby may be to use her favorite decorative porcelain pots. .. finally, an actual use for the things :cool:

Also, a good accessory for your beekeeping suit is a bulletproof vest with a trauma plate if you take the above "advice"
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 01:47:58 pm »
Terri, You are fortunate to have a neighbor with what you have described.

The black comb is a lot of trouble for little return 'if' wax was simply your goal Terri, but since attracting a swarm of bees is your goal, the black wax is just what the DR Ordered in my opinion. You do not need to trade your frames in my opinion.
Simply pick up what blackcomb he does not want, enough to succeed in doing following will be great!. 

Melt it down and 'paint' the liquid part this 'slum gum' on the inside of your boxes. If any is left over, paint the frames as well, and so much the better! Don't worry about any 'small pieces which is in reason', of the black stuff as the bees will take care of that on the frames.. I dont know of a better swarm attractant than this type set up! It's a fun thing to walk up on such a box one day and find a swarm of bees either scouting, or already have set up housekeeping in it!! Good luck!

Phillip
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 08:05:57 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 01:55:32 pm »
Adding Terri, if you don't have much of the liquid after melting, you can simple grab a handful of the mess and smear it on the insides of the box. Just make sure the wax is not so hot that you burn yourself, but warm enough to be wet. Again good 'fishing'!!

Phillip
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 08:05:39 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 03:46:33 pm »
OK, Sounds like good direction. Thanks. And I have a stack of AL pots in the garage that I just knew I'd have a use for one day. I'm not a hoarder or anything like that, I'm just a keeper of things that might be of use some day.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 04:07:15 pm »
If you have a steam generator such as one used for stripping wall paper, you would be able to use it to extract a good quantity of clean wax from old comb.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 05:12:07 pm »
If you have a steam generator such as one used for stripping wall paper, you would be able to use it to extract a good quantity of clean wax from old comb.
The only steam generator I own is called and iron but I can keep on the lookout for one when I go to auctions. Thanks.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 05:49:14 pm »
I'm not a hoarder or anything like that, I'm just a keeper of things that might be of use some day.
Preaching to the choir, sir!  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 06:47:04 pm »
He gave me three medium frames of comb, one piece of comb that wouldn't fill a frame but I don't know where it was built, two jars of stuff that was ravaged by moths and some flow hive frames of his to condition in my freezer. I ordered some cheese cloth off of fleabay, which will be here in a couple of days. I'll winter the frames in rubber tubs and seal the lids, probably with Saran wrap. I don't think he did anything with that flow hive but I'll have to ask him.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2023, 03:53:14 pm »
I'll winter the frames in rubber tubs and seal the lids, probably with Saran wrap.
If you are storing the tubs in an unheated space, in your climate, the Saran wrap is probably overkill.  Even in my climate, a good snapping lid is fine.  But hey, overkill is better than underkill. 

some flow hive frames of his to condition in my freezer. I don't think he did anything with that flow hive but I'll have to ask him.
The flow hive frames will be different than normal ones obviously, and they may be difficult to clean if that is your goal.  Perhaps people with flow hives can give you some pointers for cleaning and using them.   

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 06:34:16 pm »
I'll winter the frames in rubber tubs and seal the lids, probably with Saran wrap.
If you are storing the tubs in an unheated space, in your climate, the Saran wrap is probably overkill.  Even in my climate, a good snapping lid is fine.  But hey, overkill is better than underkill. 

some flow hive frames of his to condition in my freezer. I don't think he did anything with that flow hive but I'll have to ask him.
The flow hive frames will be different than normal ones obviously, and they may be difficult to clean if that is your goal.  Perhaps people with flow hives can give you some pointers for cleaning and using them.   
He got the flow hive as a gift and you are right, he's not going to try cleaning those frames. He said that that hive didn't produce any honey this year. It was not all grossed out like his other frames, where they wax moths made a mess of things.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 06:28:19 am »
I am a hoarder.  But that's because things might be useful one day...  All you who are enjoying your antiques can thank people like me that they still exist.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 07:50:44 am »
I have some cheesecloth bags inbound off of fleabay and I can hardly wait to see how wax extraction goes. And right now my hives are stacked in the garage but I'll pull them apart and spread them around so I can paint the interiors with the schmutz. It's not what I'd paint my house with but who am I to judge their tastes?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2023, 01:05:51 pm »
but I'll pull them apart and spread them around so I can paint the interiors with the schmutz.
:cheesy:  I'm laughing about "schmutz".  I haven't heard anyone outside my family use that word in a LONG time.  :grin: 

Do you have your hive exteriors painted already (if you are painting them)?  Because I learned a little trick from someone on here (sorry, not sure who it was  :oops: ) to rub a little bit of wax on the edges of the boxes so they don't stick together so bad when they are newly painted.  Works like a charm!  :cool:   

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2023, 08:41:03 am »
My hives are waxed so I won't be painting them, at least not at first. 'Schmutz' is a word that the PA Dutch use and since you said you had lived in Lancaster area, 15thMember, it is understandable that you would use it and I'm not completely surprised that it's regional. I'm thinking that you might know what scrapple is too.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2023, 09:35:15 am »
lol. I thought everyone used schmutz. .. best cleaned off a cheek by mother's spit on her thumb.
scrapple fried in schmaltz would still be schmutz, imo. but my yankee-ish wife likes it. :grin:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2023, 06:36:43 am »
> I'm thinking that you might know what scrapple is too.

Yummmmm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2023, 01:24:01 pm »
> I'm thinking that you might know what scrapple is too.

Yummmmm.
How do you know what scrapple is?

I have some comb in a cheesecloth bag in hot water for my first go with this. The cheesecloth looks like a pretty small mesh, is the wax going to make it through that? Or are there different meshes?