Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reading list  (Read 7560 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Reading list
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2024, 08:10:50 am »
"We're trying to ensure the failure of modern beekeeping by focusing too much on single traits; by ignoring the elements of Wildness; and by constantly treating the bees. The biggest mistake of all is to continue viewing mites and other "pests" as enemies that must be destroyed, instead of allies and teachers that are trying to show us a path to a better future. The more virulent a parasite is, the more powerful a tool it can be for improving stocks and practice in the future. All the boring and soul-destroying work of counting mites on sticky boards, killing brood with liquid nitrogen, watching bees groom each other, and measuring brood hormone levels---all done in thousands of replications---will someday be seen as a colossal waste of time when we finally learn to let the Varroa mites do these things for us. My own methods of propagating, selecting and breeding bees, worked out through many years of trial and error, are really just an attempt to establish and utilize Horizontal breeding with honeybees---to create a productive system that preserves and enhances the elements of Wildness. My results are not perfect, but they have enabled me to continue making a living from bees without much stress, and have a positive outlook for the future. I have no doubt that many other beekeepers could easily achieve these same results, and then surpass them."--Kirk Webster, What's missing from the current discussion and work related to bees that's preventing us from making good progress.

https://kirkwebster.com/index.php/whats-missing-from-the-current-discussion-and-work-related-to-bees-thats-preventing-us-from-making-good-progress
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2024, 06:51:53 pm »
So I'm confused about something in this book I'm reading, which I'm still loving by the way.  The authors are discussing their typical hive arrangement and they say this: " . . . we prefer the use of the western shallow box, a variation on the Langstroth hive with a 6 5/8 in. box height."  Isn't that a medium, not a shallow?  Does the fact that they are saying "western" mean something different?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2024, 07:43:06 am »
Box Depths by name and size:
    Jumbo, Dadant Deep: 11 5/8"
    Deep, Langstroth Deep: 9 5/8"
    Western Bee Supply, sometimes Western (ambiguous): 7 5/8"
    Medium, Illinois, 3/4, sometimes Western (ambiguous), in Australia Manley: 6 5/8"
    Shallow: 5 3/4" or 5 11/16"
    Extra Shallow, 1/2 super: 4 3/4" or 4 11/16"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2024, 01:57:45 pm »
I finished "Raising Resilient Bees" yesterday, and I am going to qualify my previous gushing somewhat, but I still would highly recommend this book.  The thing that I liked so much about it was it interlocks beekeeping into the regenerative biodynamic permaculture homestead philosophy in a way that was very inspiring and helpful to me on a broad level.  It's in a sense a treatise on a better more sustainable way to keep bees in the modern world, and I found the author's personal goals and philosophy to very much align with my own, which made all the information applicable to me, even though I'm a hobbyist and not a commercial beekeeper. 

That being said, some of the standards set by the authors were unrealistically high.  For example, they were so concerned about their bee products being 100% organic that they don't use paint on their hives for fear a chip of paint might accidentally enter the honey or propolis.  While I applaud their integrity, I'm not anywhere near that concerned about something so minor, but as a beekeeper who has her feet under her already, I could easily weed out what was important to me and what was not from a management perspective.  For this reason though, I wouldn't recommend this book to a beginner, because it would have the potential to make it sound like keeping healthy bees and harvesting quality products from your hives is unattainably difficult, due to the incredibly high standards the authors set for themselves. 

Speaking of which, I really liked how the authors understood their audience and tailored the information toward more experienced beekeepers.  This book is not a "how to" introduction for newbees, and the authors deliberately didn't retread ground they assumed a beekeeping audience already understood, which made the information succinct and straightforward, while still being personal, conversational, and easily readable.  The book also contained some really good up-to-date information on things like the medicinal value of bee products.  And of course, since it's from Chelsea Green, the book is well set up, well bound, and contains lots of great photographs. 

My only other complaints would be the aforementioned confusion about what box size the authors are actually using, because I'm still not sure, and they displayed a contempt toward crystallized honey that was startling to me at times, calling it "ruined" and "foul" in two separate instances.  I understand that commercial honey producers don't like to see crystallized honey, but for a book so interested in natural hive products, this was an out-of-place opinion to be disseminated so strongly.

All that to say, I give it a 5/5, and I'm thinking about implementing some of the authors' suggestions this upcoming season.  For any late-beginner to experienced beekeeper, I would highly recommend it.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2024, 02:38:35 pm »
Good perspective and info Reagan. I have that book in my cart on Amazon currently. I hadn't looked closely enough to see that it was a Chelsea Green book, I do appreciate the way their books are laid out and designed. I have two at home currently I received recently for my birthday, Farming the Woods, and The Resilient Farm and Homestead. I'm looking forward to them and Raising Resilient Bees as well when I pick it up soon.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2024, 12:55:05 pm »
My next book is Bumble Bees of North America by Paul Williams, Robbin Thorp, Leif Richardson, and Sheila Colla.  I wanted to brush up on my bumbles before my bumble bee atlas season begins, so I'm going to read it cover to cover. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
-------------------

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2024, 02:07:48 pm »
I just finished my bumble bee guide.  It was exceedingly dry as a cover to cover read, but that's really my fault I guess (although I've read guidebooks before and didn't find them so boring). I learned one interesting fact: Bombus griseocollis (brown-belted bumble bee) males will perch on high structures to get a good view of the surrounding area to search for mates, but they take this to the extreme in urban environments where they will sometimes perch on top of skyscrapers.  Males of this species have been found 102 stories up on the Empire State Building!  I just wish that the Xerces Society would take a page from Audubon and try a little harder to make publications like this accessible to the layman.  I basically consider myself to be an amateur naturalist, so I was able to understand the book and how to use it, but if you were new to bees or entomology, you wouldn't even be able to make heads or tails of the information or use it in any efficient manner.  The lack of knowledge we have about bumble bee life history is partially to blame, but the flip side to that is I know it's possible to make this accessible and engaging because The Bees in Your Backyard did it.  As a guidebook, it's certainly thorough, but the materials I got as a member of my regional bumble bee atlas are far more user friendly, so I will probably continue to use those and only use this as a backup if I'm confused about something.  I gave the book a 3/5.  I'll probably move on to Huber next.