Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bear attacked my hives oh no, please no!!!  (Read 18748 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Bear attacked my hives oh no, please no!!!
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2018, 08:35:18 pm »
Mr. Ace, good evening Buddy.  I am sure a 22 rim fire bullet would cause harm to a bear.  The bullet would penetrate the skin and at the very least cause infection.  Probably not kill a bear in the short run, but long term would not be pleasant, although the wound might heal, it would be quite an ordeal for a bear.

I realize bear have incredible tough skin but a 22 rim fire {long rifle}LR sure can penetrate oak wood.  A short 22 rim fire at 300 yards, well maybe not penetrate a bear hide.  Most folks do not use 22 short.

My first deer kill was one shot with a 22 rim fire long rifle in a Winchester model 62, over 50 years ago.
Blessings

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2018, 10:30:17 pm »
I once saw a fellow kill a bear with a 22 LR. The bear chased him a bit when he realized he had a gun and he couldn't beat a bear in a foot race. He shot about a dozen times to bring him down. That was many long years ago. I would not want to face one with a 22.
Neill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2018, 12:26:51 am »
I once saw a fellow kill a bear with a 22 LR. The bear chased him a bit when he realized he had a gun and he couldn't beat a bear in a foot race. He shot about a dozen times to bring him down. That was many long years ago. I would not want to face one with a 22.

herbhome, did you by any-chance leave off the word (again) after your last sentence. and  the number 22. hee hee, just kidding.  :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2018, 03:19:03 am »
@ 2sox

I think I said at least two or three times that I was kidding with you and was all in good fun. No harm meant. However, I was pointing out to you, to point your finger at anyone who might have neglected to erect an electric fence when in bear country, made a foolish decision.  Is it possible that not putting up the fence was an oversight? Could it be that Mr Van never thought about the problem that could and would be caused himself , or anyone one else which might have made the same mistake?  Even Jim said once that he had bear trouble and had to go back and erect an electric fence. Michael Palmer also, and on and on. This caused them all much grief, suffering, sorrow and financial loss. Such as in Mr Vans case.  Couldn't the harsh statement foolish also be used just as well for a person in bear country to place comb in an unprotected storage area With Windows knowing that there were bears in the area? No one on this forum attacked you and said it was a foolish decision that you made? Or foolish to do so? Please don't misunderstand me Mr 2SOX. I am happy that you post here and I  have learned much from your post and will continue to eagerly look forward to learning from you. You stated that my words can detour folks from posting here. That is not and was not my intention including you, But To simply point out to you, calling someone's neglegent mistake foolish; can be a real determent to posting, especially new young people? Do you not agree? Who wants to be honest, post that honest mistake  and be attacked by a fellow member as making a foolish decision?   I whole heartedly agree that the electric fence is the right way to go, (I have used them for years for horses cattle and such), and to neglect , or  not to put up an electric fence in bear country to protect your financial investment is a bad (mistake). Not  only in bear country but cattle county as well because cattle like to rub and scratch on stationary objects. I have seen my uncle loose hives to this problem also. But I would not dare, in my wildest dreams tell him , "uncle you made a foolish decision in not putting up an electric fence". As far as an electric fence not hurting, Isn't that the point of it ? To hurt the intruder, to detour the intruder and turn it away? That is what they are for . Maybe yours don't hurt you but I feel certain that there are others that will testify to the difference.  So stand on your statement of foolishment if you will. Thai is uour privlege on our shared great country.  If necessary I will be happy to offer my hand to you and agree to disagree.
Sincerely, Phillip Hall 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:16:55 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2018, 08:34:43 am »
Mr. Ace, good evening Buddy.  I am sure a 22 rim fire bullet would cause harm to a bear.  The bullet would penetrate the skin and at the very least cause infection. 

Wild animals survive infection pretty easily.  Much the same way they survive the electric fence.  I wasn't suggesting a kill shot I was suggesting a flesh wound that would deter the bear.  I know people that use 22's to keep bears out of their garbage.  Unfortunately like a fence you have to hit every bear that comes around.  The advantage of the fence is that you don't have to be there but it is a lot quicker to load a gun then to build a fence so it might cover that immediate time span until you get the fence up.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2018, 09:46:09 am »
Sounds like a good way to get someone killed. A wounded bear is apt to charge any human it comes in contact with, as it can't escape as quickly as a healthy one could.

And that's not even looking at the legal aspect if one was caught shooting a bear illegally.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2018, 10:14:09 am »
Yeah Wally, most likely all the people that scare bears away in Upstate are dead.  You don't go charging after the bear and shoot at it.  You point the gun out a window or door and shoot it in the back side.  It does't know where the bullet came from.  The people telling me these stories must be zombies.  LOL
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2018, 10:46:40 am »
No, Brian, they don't make the connection between their shot and the wounded bear attack 50 mile away 10 days later.

Nope, no connection at all.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2018, 10:48:58 am »
Intentionally wounding an animal is so wrong in so many ways.  This from a wild game hunter that strives for a quick, clean kill when I shoot.  I will begin a list...
Shooting a bear with a .22LR is...
-Inhumane.  causing unnecessary pain and injury which can lead to infection and illness or slow, painful death.  Wild animals die from infected injuries quite often.  It is a leading cause of death.
-Unnecessary.  There are other more humane preventive measures to use.
-Personal safety.  You can never know whether a wounded animal will run off and possibly suffer, or will turn and attack.
-Uncertainty.  You  can't be on guard 24-7 with your .22LR.  It is only a matter of time before a critter gets in to do its damage while you are away or sleeping.

I know there are number of other reasons why shooting a bear with a .22 is a bad idea.  Would anyone else care to extend my list?

Use a fence!
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2018, 11:38:58 am »
@ 2sox

I think I said at least two or three times that I was kidding with you and was all in good fun. No harm meant. However, I was pointing out to you, to point your finger at anyone who might have neglected to erect an electric fence when in bear country, made a foolish decision.  Is it possible that not putting up the fence was an oversight? Could it be that Mr Van never thought about the problem that could and would be caused himself , or anyone one else which might have made the same mistake?  Even Jim said once that he had bear trouble and had to go back and erect an electric fence. Michael Palmer also, and on and on. This caused them all much grief, suffering, sorrow and financial loss. Such as in Mr Vans case.  Couldn't the harsh statement foolish also be used just as well for a person in bear country to place comb in an unprotected storage area With Windows knowing that there were bears in the area? No one on this forum attacked you and said it was a foolish decision that you made? Or foolish to do so? Please don't misunderstand me Mr 2SOX. I am happy that you post here and I  have learned much from your post and will continue to eagerly look forward to learning from you. You stated that my words can detour folks from posting here. That is not and was not my intention including you, But To simply point out to you, calling someone's neglegent mistake foolish; can be a real determent to posting, especially new young people? Do you not agree? Who wants to be honest, post that honest mistake  and be attacked by a fellow member as making a foolish decision?   I whole heartedly agree that the electric fence is the right way to go, (I have used them for years for horses cattle and such), and to neglect , or  not to put up an electric fence in bear country to protect your financial investment is a bad (mistake). Not  only in bear country but cattle county as well because cattle like to rub and scratch on stationary objects. I have seen my uncle loose hives to this problem also. But I would not dare, in my wildest dreams tell him , "uncle you made a foolish decision in not putting up an electric fence". As far as an electric fence not hurting, Isn't that the point of it ? To hurt the intruder, to detour the intruder and turn it away? That is what they are for . Maybe yours don't hurt you but I feel certain that there are others that will testify to the difference.  So stand on your statement of foolishment if you will. Thai is uour privlege on our shared great country.  If necessary I will be happy to offer my hand to you and agree to disagree.
Sincerely, Phillip Hall

Thanks for you input.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2018, 12:00:38 pm »
Thanks for you input.

Thank you Mr 2Sox. I want to apologize to you for initially coming through so strong. I could have communicated with you without that type of sharp  sarcasm.  It was wrong of me, and I should not have done it. The Word foolish is a very strong word. The definition speeks  for itself. 
fool?ish.
/ˈfo͞oliSH/
adjective
1. (of a person or action) lacking good sense or judgment; unwise.
2. synonyms:
3. stupid, silly, idiotic, witless, brainless, vacuous, mindless, unintelligent, thoughtless, half-baked, harebrained, imprudent, incautious, injudicious, unwise;

You have always been kind and respectful, full of valuable input and information. I don't think that you really meant any harm when you used that word. I ask you to please accept my humble apology.

Sincerely,
Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2018, 12:06:14 pm »
Mr. Hall, have you never done anything foolish? I know I have, many times. Saying someone acted foolishly is in no way derogatory, in my mind. It's only human nature. Your post sounds severely snowflakey to me. I hope most beeks have a bit tougher hide than that.

In your definition, I see "lacking good judgement"" and "thoughtless", both being momentary at times. Those, to me, are the best descriptions.

Thank You for the apology to 2Sox, I think it was well deserved.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2018, 12:11:14 pm »
Thanks for you input.

Thank you Mr 2Sox. I want to apologize to you for initially coming through so strong. I could have communicated with you without that type of sharp  sarcasm.  It was wrong of me, and I should not have done it. The Word foolish is a very strong word. The definition speeks  for itself. 
fool?ish.
/ˈfo͞oliSH/
adjective
1. (of a person or action) lacking good sense or judgment; unwise.
2. synonyms:
3. stupid, silly, idiotic, witless, brainless, vacuous, mindless, unintelligent, thoughtless, half-baked, harebrained, imprudent, incautious, injudicious, unwise;

You have always been kind and respectful, full of valuable input and information. I don't think that you really meant any harm when you used that word. I ask you to please accept my humble apology.

Sincerely,
Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

I respect what you write here. It is very gracious.  Of course, apology accepted. It's all mutual enhancement here.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2018, 12:23:22 pm »
Mr. Hall, have you never done anything foolish? I know I have, many times. Saying someone acted foolishly is in no way derogatory, in my mind. It's only human nature. Your post sounds severely snowflakey to me. I hope most beeks have a bit tougher hide than that.

In your definition, I see "lacking good judgement"" and "thoughtless", both being momentary at times. Those, to me, are the best descriptions.

Thank You for the apology to 2Sox, I think it was well deserved.

Thank you iddee, You have been silent about this until now. it's to bad that you didn't post your opinion Before I posted the apology to Mr 2SOX as your statement and opinion might have carried some weight in my eyes. But to bash and scorn me (after) my apology; and may I say immediately after my heart felt apology, carries no weight with me. And may I also say my high respect that I have had for you at this time, has plumitated.for the same reason just stated.  Goodness ...

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2018, 12:26:36 pm »
Thank you Mr 2SOX.
Sincerely, Phillip Hall

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2018, 12:43:48 pm »
Use a fence!
Sure, try to get one installed by the next night when the bear does show up.  Ninety percent of all hunters wound animals and never find the carcass.  Some even wound people or kill them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2018, 12:45:42 pm »
""Mr. Hall, have you never done anything foolish? I know I have, many times. Saying someone acted foolishly is in no way derogatory, in my mind. It's only human nature. Your post sounds severely snowflakey to me. I hope most beeks have a bit tougher hide than that""

This was written before you posted the apology. When submitted, it said there had been a post made.

I added the rest after your post.

I would guess much of what I post is ignored, but I just post what I think. Members do with it what they want.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2018, 01:25:15 pm »
""Mr. Hall, have you never done anything foolish? I know I have, many times. Saying someone acted foolishly is in no way derogatory, in my mind. It's only human nature. Your post sounds severely snowflakey to me. I hope most beeks have a bit tougher hide than that""

This was written before you posted the apology. When submitted, it said there had been a post made.

I added the rest after your post.

I would guess much of what I post is ignored, but I just post what I think. Members do with it what they want.

Iddee, my apology was posted to 2SOX at 12:00:38. Your attack on me was posted at 12:06:14 so, if there is any more bashing that you would like to get out of your system, you have my permission to go ahead and do it now. I won't hold it against you and I wil also ask that the administration not hold it against you either. But I will ask what is your point? Once an apology has been made and  accepted by myself and 2SOX What is you purpose to attempt to continue to carry on with this subject?  Apparently I ruffled your feathers for what I don't know but whatever it is you will have to have a better line of communication. Some of the bashing that you said to me, I could just as easily say back to you but I won't. I am thinging I have said to much already to 2SOX and felt bad bough about that. That bad feeling that I had led to my apology to him and he deservied that apology. But Sir, as far as I can see, without you being clear in your communication to me, I owe you nothing, on the contrary. Goodness.... Mr 2SOX was gracious to accept my apology. And If Mr 2SOX reads this I thank you again Mr 2SOX.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2018, 03:49:27 pm »
Well, it looks like you took it a lot harder than it was meant. Maybe my old skin is just a lot tougher than yours. I meant for it to go over lightly, but if it hit you as being hard, then go ahead and throw it back as hard as you wish. I will understand. No hard feelings on this end.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2018, 03:52:08 pm »
Phillip,
I think what Iddee is saying is that he started writing about the apology, stopped, as happens to me, just did twice today, came back and finished it, posted it and then saw your reply and added to it. It happens a lot.
Let?s just get back to the bears and the bees. 😊
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin