Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are you thinking of getting Saskatraz queens?  (Read 14163 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
Re: Are you thinking of getting Saskatraz queens?
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2019, 10:19:21 am »
Yikes, incognito! :shocked:
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2019, 10:56:10 am »

Yep, from a single bee sting.  I have developed an autoimmune disease, idiopathic urticaria, Latin name for hives.  I react with the wind.  That is, I locally react or a sting results in a minor issue.  I never know, nor do I worry.  I do not have nor want an epipen.
Van
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:28:20 am by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2019, 11:18:52 am »
Last June:  sting puncture can be seen in the middle of the red swollen area.  The under side of arm swelled the most.. see next photo.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:40:22 am by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2019, 11:20:31 am »

Although the sting was on top of the arm, the underside swelled the most... go figure??

No worries, I can control with prednisone, a steroid.  I just hate taking the stuff.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:35:34 am by van from Arkansas »

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2019, 11:58:17 am »
FYI: Olivarez was very concerned about my situation and Kindly refunded my money for that *hot* queen. Most important, they became aware.

I know HP and others have had great success with Saskatraz. I wish them the best.  I'll stick with Italians and Carniolans - or local. I learned recently that Betterbee  - relatively close by - has a program breeding local stock.  I'm going to give those queens a try.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2019, 10:53:11 pm »
Mr Van, Im concerned. Those sting swellings look extreme! How often, on average, would you estimate that you receive stings? I realize you more than likely suit up well.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2019, 02:31:46 am »
Goodness, Van!

Those stings look awful! :sad:
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2019, 07:10:27 pm »
Mr Van, Im concerned. Those sting swellings look extreme! How often, on average, would you estimate that you receive stings? I realize you more than likely suit up well.

Good afternoon Mr. Ben, Phil.  I obtain a sting about once a month.

However today was the day for another sting. I received a sting today on my left forearm.  I was ready as you explained in a previous post, Phil: Benadryl and Zantac, both histamine blockers.  I took both within 5 minutes of being stung and boy let me tell you what a difference.  I have a red area about 2 square inches, that is all.

I wear gloves and head gear.  The bee climbed up my gloves until she found bare skin and landed a stinger at the base of my glove and buried the stinger in my flesh.

What a relief taking your over the counter meds: just 2 inches red instead of half my arm being swollen as pictured.

So, Mr. Ben Framed, I truly appreciate you taking the time to post the remedy in a previous post, Benadryl and Zantac taken together for bee sting.  What a relief, made a huge difference heading your advice for meds; now only a small insignificant red spot is what I experienced this day.
Thank you, Phil. Thank you, Phil.  Thank you, Phil.  Thank you, Phil.  Thank you, Phil.  Thank you, Phil.
Well you get the idea.  Phil, may you receive Blessings as you have Blessed others.
Van

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2019, 11:18:43 pm »
You are very welcome Mr Van. I am happy that this helped you. I will have to look this up again and give credit to the person that recommended this here at beemaster from earlier days here. I wish I could remember her name, but she is a Nurse Practitioner which worked at the ER. The ER is where she leaned this.  My experience was after doing the above along with Jims recommendations of Benadryl cream mixed with hydro cortisone cream. My problems soon subsided, almost completely, after doing cutouts and receiving stings regularly. Before doing all the above, I was afraid that I would have to give up the idea of beekeeping.  I broke my rule today of using a veil. My bees are very gentle but, yes sir, I did receive a sting right over my left eye. Before upon receiving such a sting, I would have looked like a China-man or one of my friends form the orient, for at least a couple days after such a sting, now I am fortunate enough to take or do nothing, only experiencing a small welp and that has subsided. That was about 3 hours ago.  God Bless you Mr Van. Again, I am very happy for you sir.
 :grin: :happy:
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:35:58 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2019, 06:14:03 am »
My my my this conversation turned

When I have a hot hive I feed them sugar water and hive them a small pollen patty. Then evaluate.
Often times local available forage can make em loco.

Its not the snitcatraz bees its other stuff. Non locally adaptive stock has some growing pains.

Small neighborhood chem lawn etc could be your issue as well.

The variables are many
Buy a girl a drink and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2019, 09:27:20 am »
I did an inspection of my hot hive yesterday.
The bees did a good job filling with honey the second super I added, mainly during a dearth. I may have to add a third super soon.
The top super is probably mostly stored syrup. The second super is most likely honey.

As for their behavior. Lots of flights going on. The bees on the top of the frames in the top super seemed lethargic. Just hanging out.

When I got to the top brood box they started popping my veil after I took out a frame or two so I exited. I saw great patterns, capped brood, some drone brood, eggs and larvae. Being that there was really nothing more to look for I got out. I did not bother looking in the bottom brood box.

Then I mowed the lawn around the hives fully suited. It was hot. I got chased. I am not sure if I got stung on my back through the suit and on my thumb through a glove. If I did, I had no reaction to either.
Tom

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:54 am »
Glad things went better this time, Tom.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2019, 12:35:32 pm »
When I have a hot hive I feed them sugar water and hive them a small pollen patty. Then evaluate.
Often times local available forage can make em loco.

Its not the snitcatraz bees its other stuff. Non locally adaptive stock has some growing pains.

Small neighborhood chem lawn etc could be your issue as well.

The variables are many
Buy a girl a drink and see what happens.

Considering all the information here, it seems the Saskatraz line fits many beekeeper's goals. Apparently, my original statement was incorrect - especially with my small sample size. What happened with my hive, I don't know. Environment? Temporary stressors? Crappy breeding queen? My personality?  I'm done with them. I'll never keep them in my yard.

I checked in with my friend, Nick, who settled them with some of his hives in Greenwood Cemetery.  He said he's been walking around with no veil occasionally, and it's peace on Earth.  Go figure.

Oh.  He's re queening anyway.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2019, 07:57:20 pm »
They got me again!

This time on the chin through my veil when I was looking down while separating the brood nest. I need to follow Jim's smoking routine closer. Next time I'll use a stop watch to get the timing right.

Benadryl, Zyrtec and ice and its still swelling up. I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow morning.
Edited to add: I should have taken one or the other, not both.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:03:08 pm by incognito »
Tom

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2019, 08:12:03 pm »
They got me again!

This time on the chin through my veil when I was looking down while separating the brood nest. I need to follow Jim's smoking routine closer. Next time I'll use a stop watch to get the timing right.

Benadryl, Zyrtec and ice and its still swelling up. I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

Zantac & Benadryl did the trick for me, back when I use to swell. I?m not saying Zyrtec won't work, I have never tried that combo. Anyone else?
Phillip

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2019, 08:20:02 pm »
Clobetasol cream. Prescription. The sooner it?s applied the better it works. I have it in the pocket of my gear.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2019, 08:37:00 pm »
I use Zantac and Benadryl for stings with good results.  The pics above are without the meds.
Van

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2019, 09:54:14 pm »
Clobetasol cream. Prescription. The sooner it?s applied the better it works. I have it in the pocket of my gear.

It?s a steroid on steroids.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2019, 10:02:02 pm »
WebMD says do not apply to the face.

How to use Clobetasol PROPIONATE GelUse this medication on the skin only. Do not use it on the face, groin, or underarms unless directed to do so by your doctor.
Wash and dry your hands before using. Clean and dry the affected area. Apply a thin film of medication to the affected area and gently rub in, usually 2 times daily or as directed by your doctor. Do not bandage, cover, or wrap the area unless directed to do so by your doctor. If used in the diaper area on an infant, do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
After applying the medication, wash your hands unless you are using this medication to treat the hands. When applying this medication near the eyes, avoid getting it in the eyes because this may worsen or cause glaucoma. Also, avoid getting this medication in the nose or mouth. If you get the medication in these areas, rinse with plenty of water.
Tom

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2019, 10:44:28 pm »
WebMD says do not apply to the face.

WebMD is cool. My physician directs to apply it anywhere you get a sting - or even a mosquito bite. Anywhere.  I, my wife, my cutout assistants have been doing this for years. Anywhere we get a sting or bee bite. Incredible immediate relief. And we?re still standing.