Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does putting a metal spoon in real honey damage it?  (Read 41593 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Does putting a metal spoon in real honey damage it?
« on: August 23, 2023, 08:30:08 am »
I was at my local hardware store yesterday and one of the employees noticed my bee signs on my truck and he started up a conversation. One thing that he asked was the subject line. He said he saw it on Facebook and even pulled it up. He said that the metal destroys the medicinal qualities of the honey.
I have never heard this and told him that.
Has anyone ever heard of this.
I suspect said it and it now is being spread on Facebook which makes people believe it is true.
Personally I don?t think it is true.
What are your thoughts?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Does putting a metal spoon in real honey damage it?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 08:49:07 am »
stainless 318, no.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 09:41:41 am »
I don't know about medicinal qualities, but while stainless doesn't seem to change honey any, galvanized will make it taste metallic and aluminum may make it taste metallic.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 09:50:12 am »
All of my extraction equipment is stainless steel and I assume it is 304 or better because it never has rusted.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 10:03:42 am »
Good point paus.  My bottler is stainless also..

I will add this to Michaels post; It may be an 'old wives tale' but when I was small we were told we were not leave a silver spoon in the jelly. As we all know, silver will naturally tarnish. Leaving a 'silver' spoon in 'might' add change concerning 'taste'.
Even if the taste changes, does it mean medicinal qualities in 'honey' are lost? 
The feed store guy 'might' have confused fact with fiction concerning metal spoons, by making a blanket statement concerning metal spoons in general. And that part friends is just a guess. lol
Phillip

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:19:20 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 01:13:30 pm »
I just got the same question from a someone too, and I'd never heard anything about it before either.  Apparently there is something going around about how metal will break down the beneficial enzymes in honey.  I did a little looking around and it's technically possible, since honey is acidic, but not with stainless, and even with other metals the reaction would take WAY longer than the amount of time honey is on a spoon. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 01:22:34 pm »
Absolutely... Hold that honey on a non-stainless spoon for 150 to 200 years and it will definitely change it's properties.

Also, it was been proven, back in the 1970's, bacon causes cancer. Further research revealed you only had to eat something like 250 lb. daily for 350 years to get cancer from bacon.

Be careful, there's a lot of deadly stuff out there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 02:14:50 pm »
Thanks everyone, the next time I see him I will let him know.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 02:39:18 pm »
Honey is acidic (about 3.2 to 4.5). Any metal that is reactive will obviously be impacted by exposure to it. As to how it impacts on its medicinal qualities is an interesting question. A mate of mine has some honey stored in metal drums. He harvested it in 1974. It is now black in colour and has a strong metallic taste. The inside of the drums are basically rusting away.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 03:02:04 pm »
I received a glass jar of honey a few years back that was harvested back about the 70's. It, too, was solid black. I did not taste it, but it was not in contact with any metal as the jar had been on a shelf upright all those years.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 04:39:36 pm »
Absolutely... Hold that honey on a non-stainless spoon for 150 to 200 years and it will definitely change it's properties.

Also, it was been proven, back in the 1970's, bacon causes cancer. Further research revealed you only had to eat something like 250 lb. daily for 350 years to get cancer from bacon.

Be careful, there's a lot of deadly stuff out there.

:cheesy:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 08:16:52 am »
Also, it was been proven, back in the 1970's, bacon causes cancer.
No Wally not the bacon it is the chemicals that are put in bacon to cure and preserve it.  Pretty much all cold cut meats.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 10:21:44 am »
Ace, YES, the curing chemicals are what makes it bacon. Without them, it wouldn't be bacon.

That's like saying whiskey won't make you drunk. It's the alcohol in it that does.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2023, 11:10:45 am »
Ace, YES, the curing chemicals are what makes it bacon. Without them, it wouldn't be bacon.

That's like saying whiskey won't make you drunk. It's the alcohol in it that does.
BINGO ! we have a winner !

And thanks so much to Ace for the mental image of bacon being a cold cut ... slap a few slices straight out of the package on some bread and bite down ... gak ! :cheesy:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 12:24:50 pm »

Not so Wally.  You can buy uncured bacon and bacon that has no nitrates added.  It is still bacon, taste better, much more healthy for you.  The down side is it will spoil quicker and costs more.
Alcoholic drinks have the same issue.  You can add stuff to your mead but it will never taste as good as mead that doesn't have additives.  And in the case of sulfates it is less likely to give you a head ache.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 03:30:11 pm »
First, I have made bacon. The curing changes it from belly fat or fatback to bacon. NO, it is not bacon until it is cured.

You shouldn't even be discussing alcoholic drinks if you don't know the difference in whiskey and mead. If you take the alcohol out of either of them, you won't have the drink it was. Quit being foolish and admit you goofed.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 03:49:21 pm »
There are also carcinogens in wood smoke. As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't smoked, it ain't bacon.

also ...When you grill meat, that nice smelling smoke contains polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons .. carcinogenic.

wanna bake a loaf of bread? don't breathe that flour dust, carcinogenic.

Alcohol is classed as a group 1 carcinogen.

"I know not what health concerns others may have, but as for me, give me enjoyment of life, or give me death ! " -- Patrick Animal (and some real people too)

never made bacon, but have made wines, mead, and whiskey ... and they are different. If it's not alcoholic and is carbonated, it's soda ... or a "coke" if you're in Alabama. No alcohol or carbonation in an "alcoholic flavor"... it's an abomination.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 04:08:21 pm by animal »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 06:54:24 pm »
If it's not alcoholic and is carbonated, it's soda ... or a "coke" if you're in Alabama.
People do that around here too, call every soda "coke". 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2023, 07:17:41 pm »
lol
In my part of Mississippi, we call a Coke a Coke, a Dr Pepper a Dr Pepper, Pepsi a Pepsi etc. It is only the new folks who are moving in, (Usually from the North or West), who refer to soft drinks as sodas.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2023, 09:48:30 pm »
Ha ! I grew up with "pop"... (pop rouge was strawberry) ..
Grandpa also called it pop because he grew up with actual pop bottles (sometimes soda-water). Parents were like you, Ben. Wife is a military brat and I got soda from her  :cheesy:

anything