Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help in the garden  (Read 12140 times)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Re: Help in the garden
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 04:46:01 pm »

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 04:46:58 pm »

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 03:25:16 am »

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.  Nice to see something so peaceful amid today's world.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 10:00:06 am »
It is peaceful and full of hope. I?m glad you enjoyed. The flower is Salvia ?Amistad?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 09:16:35 am »
I just got a package from China that contained a small packet of poppy seeds.  I did not order anything.  Any idea why I would get them?  Will they grow in FL?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2020, 09:39:57 am »
 I did not order anything

Speaking only for myself Ace, if I did not order them, I would not plant, especially if seed come from another country. I'm thinking kudzu and other plants that become invasive outside their native area.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 09:47:56 am »
My wife threw them away last week.  We can't take a chance in southern FL.  Everything grows like its on steroids.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 09:22:38 am »
I've been so busy canning, freezing, and gardening that I've not had time for much else. I applied for a pistol permit and have booked time at a shooting range, and looking at the Sig Sauer P229. I'll know better about that once I've used one at the range. Checked on my bees yesterday, so sign of any problems [whew] but they were ornery; had to go get my gloves.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 05:17:27 pm »
I've been so busy canning, freezing, and gardening that I've not had time for much else.
Great looking pantry!  You are making my mom jealous.  :grin:  Your okra are so tiny.  Are they a certain variety, or do you just pick them small? 

Checked on my bees yesterday, so sign of any problems [whew] but they were ornery; had to go get my gloves.
Yeah, we're getting on towards that time of year.  I got nailed in the wrist today just taking honey off.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 06:33:00 pm »
Your okra are so tiny.  Are they a certain variety, or do you just pick them small? 

I pick them small for some things. A neighbor wanted me to try a different way of preparing: I had to borrow her microwave steamer, little water in the bottom, cut okra right below the stem, and microwave 1 - 2 minutes. Believe it or not, it was tender, and not slimy at all. I'll cut them a tad longer when I dill pickle them. I rarely fry okra [usually roast in the oven], but when I do, I pick them small and fry them whole, again cutting the stem off.

Great looking pantry!

Thanks, the only problem is, I hate to use them, because I like seeing them sitting on the shelves, my kind of art.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 06:54:00 pm »
I pick them small for some things. A neighbor wanted me to try a different way of preparing: I had to borrow her microwave steamer, little water in the bottom, cut okra right below the stem, and microwave 1 - 2 minutes. Believe it or not, it was tender, and not slimy at all. I'll cut them a tad longer when I dill pickle them. I rarely fry okra [usually roast in the oven], but when I do, I pick them small and fry them whole, again cutting the stem off.
I love okra so much that my mom never gets a chance to actually prepare it, because I just eat it raw off the plant too fast.  She might have grown enough this year that I'll finally let someone else have one.  :cheesy:         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 08:21:29 pm »
I love it raw too, and when I steamed them, it was almost as good as raw

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2020, 08:40:24 am »
Okra is a plant you don't see much in the north.  The only way I have had it was battered and deep fried in my younger years while working in the south.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2020, 05:53:33 pm »
deep fried is popular for sure. Now that you are in the south, maybe you can try it several ways. To me, battered and deep fried, though good, hides the favor of okra.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 08:59:16 am »
I think it is an acquired taste like kale and spinach.  Which probably means it is good for you.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it