Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new swarm in the attic  (Read 2021 times)

Offline goertzen29

• House Bee
new swarm in the attic
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:14:55 am »
My bother just called, says they have a new (today or yesterday) swarm taking up residence in their house.  I'm new to beekeeping and live 4+ hours away, so I cant really go over and check it out, nor would I really know what to do......is there and easy/cheap way to get them out before they really set up house?  Some way to convince them they picked the wrong place to live so they will leave? 

thanks for the help.
Jay

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: new swarm in the attic
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:53:03 am »
If you can get it behind them, you have a good chance of moving them out with something like bee quick. Make sure you have a baited catch box with comb, lemongrass, etc... to lure them to or else they may just enter an adjacent area.

I have done this with good success.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline goertzen29

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:37:14 am »
Is there anything natural one could use some other smell the really hate?  Or some kind of household item?  Is there a window of time one needs to get them out before they really start building comb laying eggs etc. thanks

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:40:42 am »
the smelly stuff would be the bee quick.  they begin building comb immediately, but if you are quick, you can still drive them out a lot of the time. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:16:52 am »
Is there anything natural one could use some other smell the really hate?  Or some kind of household item?  Is there a window of time one needs to get them out before they really start building comb laying eggs etc. thanks

You have three choices of products I know of, I mentioned the best smelling of the three. You have maybe 4-5 days but it really depends on the size of the swarm (numbers wise) and resources available (nectar). If its a really small swarm you could drive them out even after a week or so, but you won't know for certain, so stick with the 4-5 day rule and if still seeing bees (after a week) going in and out an opening by all means get someone over there that specializes in honey bee removal.

The clock is ticking. Good luck!

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com