Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Meat Rabbits!!!  (Read 23905 times)

Offline stella

• House Bee
Re: Meat Rabbits!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 11:43:26 pm »
Thanks Moots.
Yup, thats the one. Easy schmeazy snap.
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Moots

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:51 pm »

Anyone care to share their harvest method?

Stella,
Misread your question, thought you were looking for that particular device.  Anyway, I've never done the rabbit thing but have been in a few discussions about harvesting methods.  Some use a pellet gun, while others that I have spoken with said lift them by their back legs, let them hang, and one good karate chop to the back of the neck does the trick.

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 09:27:01 pm »
reading through this topic reminded me I have a rabbit in the freezer!  Wild one, but nice size.  Looks like rabbit stew for dinner tomorrow!
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 10:06:22 pm »
I've raised rabbits, for harvesting I just grab both hind legs with one hand, lift up, the back of the head with the other and pull down. The problem I have with rabbits is the amount of time and effort compared to the amount of meat you get for it. They are easy to raise though if you do it right, simple raised from the ground cages, with mesh area for their poo to fall through, a decent area for them to get some exercise, and thats almost it (well besides eating drinking, etc. of course.) and they breed like...well, rabbits. Grow your own food for them and you can feed them tons of what we'd normally even waste and it'd be fine.

Offline blacktruck

• Brood
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:26 pm »
New-bee here to this forum. Just thought I would throw out my story. Many years ago I raised rabbits for meat and breeding stock. They are an excellent source of meat and can be raised almost anywhere. It's been a number of years since I processed any but it isn't that difficult if you have a system worked out on how to do it. The manure is the best for a garden. The hides were easy to process with common chemicals. The meat sold very well where I lived then, breeding stock was good money but you had to have good bloodlines to be able to do that well. I don't think you could make a living at doing just that but it was a good addition to an already in business small farm for me. Not a bad animal at all to have around. Some day I may get some more.

Offline robk23678

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 11:20:47 pm »
We started raising them this year. We also started bees this year. We're getting chickens back this year, as soon as I get everything built for them.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 02:00:42 am »
Have always had rabbits for meat growing up. Kids are grown and gone.. so I decided to get three does and a buck...   my wife threw a FIT!!!!    She hunts, fishes, eats the cows, pigs and chickens we raise... so I never imagined it would bother her in the least...  I struggled with her about it until the first babies started hopping about the pens.... and thats when she REALLY exploded...   never seen her act like that...    She wouldn't go anywhere near the pens, and If I had to be out of town, I had to make arrangements for someone else to care for them...   I finally gave up and got rid of them....   I WANT rabbits!!!   sigh...   Oh well..
  She is paying for it now...  I refuse to care for her cat.. I will not now, or EVER feed it, clean the litter box etc... and the moment she leaves the house I throw it out. I'm not mean to it.. but I hate cats.. always have. I made the concession because I love her.. even after being married 25 years.. apparently women dont need to make such concessions???   The cat has learned that hopping up in my lap is NOT a wise thing to do. So we more or less ignore each other now.
   She asked me why I hated her cat so much..
   "I hate all cats.. I let you have it because I know you liked them so much. Had i known you wouldnt let me have rabbits, I'd never have let you have a cat."
   "I dont plan to EAT my cat!"
   "Hmmmmm... I wonder how they taste?"
   The horrified look on her face was... PRICELESS!"

Just thinking....  Rabbit season is coming up...  I could hide the cat, and put a rabbit on the rotisserie........
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 12:08:03 am »
Funny that I just saw this post tonight. I was out hunting this  morning and kicked up a very large rabbit and thought that it might be nice to add a couple of rabbit hutches...
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 04:52:40 am »
old mech once skinned meow rabbits look the same as normal rabbits
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 11:32:03 pm »
old mech once skinned meow rabbits look the same as normal rabbits

LOL!!!!  While I find it QUITE amusing... If it actually fooled her for even a moment you may well be seeing the results on the evening news....   I KNOW she would not hesitate to pull such a prank on me...  but over the years I have learned that her sense of humor, while warped, is very often one way when it comes to animals.. which is why I cant have rabbits for meat.. to her, they are PETS, not food.. a cow is food, a pig is food, a chicken is food, a deer is food, and she will happily hunt and shoot them at my side.. rabbits are PETS     :?
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.