Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Texas open carry legislation  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Texas open carry legislation
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:07:12 pm »
Texas' open carry legislation got sidetracked temporarily yesterday because computerized records were messed up.  Seems somebody appeared before a committee and during their testimony, the changed their mind about it.  I don't know if they switched from backing it to opposing it or the other way around, but the record didn't properly reflect their final position, so the powers that be tabled the measure until it got sorted out.  The question I have is why anyone would appear to testify for or against any proposed legislation if it was not clear in their mind what their position was.   Anybody who can't make up their mind on such matters has no business putting their name on the agenda, INMHO.

I have no position on open carry, though I note open carry is permissible in quite a few states and it hasn't resulted in mass mayhem.  It's reported you can even carry openly in the people's democratic republic of Vermont, though I haven't personally witnessed it in my visits to that beautiful state.  I'm licensed for concealed carry, which I understand will be required for open carry.  I'm not sure I want to advertise the fact I'm armed, but if my weapon shows, open carry will protect me from trouble.  But in a conversation with like-minded people last night, there seemed to be a feeling that having a weapon on your belt with no effort to conceal it would be unsettling to many people and seem threatening to some.

Like I say, I'm not sure I want a bad guy to know I'm armed, because it might make me the first target, among other things.  In his mind, if he took me out, then anybody else would be easy.  i'm too darned old to react with grest speed, so I'd need all the time I could get, I guess.

I'd welcome other views on this subject.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Texas open carry legislation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:28:17 pm »
Open carry is legal in N. C. without a conceal permit. Other than just transporting a gun from one place to another in their hands, I have seen exactly 2 men carrying a pistol on their hip as a normal piece of attire in my lifetime. I am 69 years old.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:12:31 am »
Ga. Is open carryor concealed  in almost anyplace except where their is metal detctors. I have seen open care from grocery stores to walmarts and restaurants. I have carried concealed to everywhere except work. But there are more weapons at work than at most gun stores. I work as a mechanic on law enforcement vehicles. When I have test drove Pat ol cars with hand guns and assault rifles next to me. But we are not to care ourselves.not to many fools would act up in law enforcement facilities around here but would only take one.

John

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:08:24 am »
I've watched many Youtube videos on Open and/or Conceal carry and I thing the best point made was by Dallasbeeks about if your conceal carry prints or shows - you are okay.

I'm of the mindset that conceal is a more common sense way to carry, Just as if you are a gun own - you shouldn't have dozens of gun bumper stickers on your car, you are just drawing attention to yourself - unwanted attention.

The biggest differences of course is size. An open carrier can wear anything on his/her waist, where conceal deal with single stack/double stack, double action weapon mostly - with lower stopping power and limited ammo, especially in revolvers.

There are some wonderful compacts today, from the utilitarian Glock to the high end, full of bells and whistles Sig Sauer P238 in .380 and the nearly same sized P938 9mm. Help them both and they are a marvel to behold and a good conceal weapon. I think they are a bit nice as a backup gun, but if you have the money go for it.

But here we can't carry no matter the method. So I can only imagine having these options. But I still think most the open carry people come off as over zealous to the general population. Especially if toting The Judge or a S&W 500 around, seriously what is the point but showing off you ave the money to buy expensive guns.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:11:30 am »
>I have no position on open carry

How can any US Citizen have no position on open carry of arms.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

How can you bear arms if you are not allowed to carry them?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:46:39 am »
>I have no position on open carry

How can any US Citizen have no position on open carry of arms.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

How can you bear arms if you are not allowed to carry them?

Michael, I mean I'm not involved in the open-carry effort.  I've carried almost my entire life, in and out of law enforcement, with and without a CHL, legally or not.  Except for protection from some anti-gun zealot complaining about my concealed gun not being concealed enough, the proposed law doesn't make much difference in my life.

Beemaster, I'm an endowment member of NRA, but you won't find a sticker on my car window.  Like you say, I don't want to draw attention.  Come to think of it, that's why I won't carry a big honking S&W .44 mag revolver exposed on my hip. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:24:41 pm »
Open carry is legal in Virginia without a permit unless it is concealed, then a permit is required. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.