ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Potatoes

(1/3) > >>

BeeMaster2:
My wife planted potatoes in a raised screen area. How long before they are ready to dig up. Is there a indicator to look for to tell when to dig them up?

bwallace23350:
They bloom out and then start to die back from the tops has always been how I have judged them as ready to harvest. I test on one plant before digging the rest up

Acebird:
I don't know if this works in FL but my plants are unrecognizable in the fall and mostly covered in weeds so for me there is no hurry to get them out of the ground.  I stake the end of each row so I can line the tractor up for digging.  If you have a tractor I would recommend buying a potato plow.  It saves so much work both in the planting and the harvesting.

minz:
Depends on what you want. I keep piling soil up around the plants(hoe 3? of soil to the stems). As the stems get large they start to put energy to the roots (potato), usually about the time they bloom.
The soil is nice and soft so you just reach in and pull ?new potatoes? off the plant. You can dig into the side and do the same. The lady at work last year complained that she went to grow little red?s and she waited until the plant died back and all she got was monster reds. I explained little red?s are just baby big reds!
Bottom line if you want small potatoes dig up one side of the plant (carefully) until you get close. Then using your hand feel to see the size.
You keep watering them  and keep piling soil up and they will keep growing until frost kills them-how does that work in Florida?

BeeMaster2:
Thanks all,
I will pass this info to my wife.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version