ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Processing my own soil for gardens

(1/7) > >>

jalentour:
My home site is on top of a hill.  The top soil was scraped off for construction and all that remains is clay and rock. 
I didn't bother to try and plant the soil, I built several raised beds last winter as our garden.
I ordered up a delivery of garden soil for my beds last year and was disappointed in the quality.  I was thinking I could some how dig up some of the good soil from other places on site.  Problem is the good soil is thin and covered in plant material. 
How would I kill off the vegetation from the soil to keep weeds out of the garden after I dig it up?
This raised bed would be 12x6x3. 

GSF:
I've read that one concern you should have when improving clay soil is with beds. It seems if you dig the clay out and replace it with compost what you could end up with is an area that's too wet for roots.

In my garden I have an area that has a lot of red clay. Over the last few years I've dumped leaves, goat poop, ect on it. I worked it in and the color went from red to a blackish red.

divemaster1963:
if you for a pine grove that has lots of needles down. rake off the needles and scrape the first 2 inches off then cover back with the needles. when you add this to your fall garden bed add some lime t to kil off the weeds. my parents had us do this every year  and added leaves. we did this for 6 200 foot green houses. you put a seed in it and be picking in 2-3 weeks. don't dig holes in cla
--- Code: ---y your making a pond. build wall on down hill side dug into ground about foot and build up behind it. this way you have the clay added to mix for drinage. the over flow will run thought the wall.

john.                                                 
--- End code ---

bwallace23350:
I would try to improve the soil naturally. Plant cover crops, green manures, and actual real manure. I would also try to heal the soil around your house.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: jvalentour on January 30, 2017, 09:41:03 pm ---How would I kill off the vegetation from the soil to keep weeds out of the garden after I dig it up?
This raised bed would be 12x6x3.

--- End quote ---

If you are going to use chemicals you spray Roundup.  If you wan t to do it organically you let the seed germinated and either cover with a tarp or till it.  Let it grow, till it, let it grow till it.  You can also just grow what you want and then till or pull the weeds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version