Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The only place I have to put hives are in the shade  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
The only place I have to put hives are in the shade
« on: July 18, 2020, 03:17:21 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm new to beekeeping
 I actually don't even own bees yet. Will buy my first nucs in the spring.
I have one problem and it may be a big one.
My uncle and my brother and I share a house. My brother doesn't want the hives in the front yard. The problem is that the back yard only gets small spots of sun throughout the day. Is this doable? I've read that it's best if they get morning sun, but this is just wooded area. Winters are mild. I'm in Georgia. Is it necessary to have lots of sun or just preferred? And what will be the consequences?
Thanks.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: The only place I have to put hives are in the shade
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 03:21:52 pm »
Welcome.  :smile:  I have my hives in the shade and I don't have any problems.  I actually really like having my hives in the shade, as it's much more comfortable working them in hot weather.  You may have more trouble with small hive beetles in the shade, but I haven't found it to be enough of a difference to warrant moving to the sun. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 03:35:49 pm »
Ditto.   

Just be sure to use the SHB traps available: the Swiffer or Dixie H700 cloth inside the hive; the West beetle trap underneath.

I find the Beetle blaster not worth it - it warps and spills.  The cloth is much better at trapping and the bees "understand" it, and use it.

I glue-and-screw upright 1x2 cleats to the bottom board, so I can slide the West trap out from the back without bothering the bees - or splashing anything.  Check it weekly, and scrape the SHB, cappings, and wriggling SHB larvae into a small bucket with bleachy water.   

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 04:52:37 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm so excited again. I was afraid I'd have to move them all to our other house which is 28 miles from this house. Thanks again.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 08:14:37 pm »
Charles,
Welcome to Beemaster.
When I lived in Jacksonville I had the same problem. I used screen bottom boards with oil trays. Every hive was killing thousands of SHBs every month in every one of my 12 hives. A neighbor Beekeeper did the same with his 5 hives for an entire year. The following year we had very few SHBs and quit using oil in the trays.
I was able to keep bees at that location for seven years.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 10:15:46 pm »
Charles, I am an hour and a half below you in Upson County. Welcome.
My hives get morning sun, but full afternoon shade. July-August temperatures and humidity in central Georgia are brutal. The shade will be good for them.
Ditto on what the guys above said about hive beetles. You need to have your traps/trays ready in spring for the coming summer. Be ready for beetles.