Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 08:45:28 am »
OK, I checked on them this morning to find the porch loaded with ants so I moved them back to the trapped location before they started flying. They don't seem to have liked being bothered though and they're kind of testy right now so I'm just going to leave them settle in and try to figure out where the ants came from. I also don't want them to pack up and leave me. A yellow jacket paid them a visit and got backed right back out the way she went in so they are defending their turf against invaders. I believe that the yellow jacket is a queen looking for a nesting place but I might be wrong on that. I have killed about six yellow jacket queens already this year, including one in my garden this morning. I have never seen so many yellow jacket queens before and my neighbors are reporting the same. I'm thinking that the winter was too easy on them and none of them died in harsh conditions. There are bees raising their tails in the air on the porch in what I believe is spreading a pheromone to tell others that this is their new home.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Community Feeding
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 08:23:02 am »
Sometimes! lol   :wink: :wink: :grin:
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 06:45:48 am »
I once read that if you ask four different beeks a question, you?ll get five different opinions. Is that true?  :cheesy:
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 06:29:46 am »
Thanks, Ben.  Now I?m hoping that they don?t get mad that I moved them and vacate. Then I?ll reset and maybe I can help my buddy across the street get back online.
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 02:07:50 am »
Good job Pilgrim.  :wink: :grin:
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 01:58:26 am »
Did a quick search and it has been 10 years since the subject of community feeding was discussed in this forum and it is an idea that seems to be shot down rather quickly then and now.

Joe May open feeds, as does David at Barnyard Bees, both community feed, {at least at certain times of the year}. So does Ian Steppler as well as other pros. Timing is the key for those whose livelihoods depend upon it, at least to certain extents.
« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 12:01:08 am »
But if we feed only during dearth?
I suppose if you are precise in your timing and remove the feeder only when the flow is back on, it would keep the robbing risk down.  But the other issues still stand.  I also feel like just feeding every hive during every period of low food is a very high input way of keeping bees.  I'd rather have bees that put up enough honey to be naturally resilient to a period of dearth, instead of propping up bees who aren't really able to manage well with my local flows.  That's my opinion on it anyway. 
« Last post by gww on May 19, 2024, 11:26:10 pm »
I hope it works out and I believe it will.
« Last post by Kathyp on May 19, 2024, 11:05:20 pm »
Can't mess up other people's honey then.

Good point and the other thing to remember is that if you feed your hive you have adulterated your own honey.  If you aren't taking any, it doesn't matter.  If you intend to take some, you don't want to feed before you extract.

A strong hive that is being fed will take a lot of syrup.  Just as a matter of economy, you don't want to feed the neighborhood!   :cheesy:
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 19, 2024, 10:17:06 pm »
OK, thanks for the help.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything