Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Introducing virgin queens  (Read 1741 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Introducing virgin queens
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:58:14 pm »
I have some cells I placed under some push in cages. What is the best way to introduce a virgin queen to a mating nuc. I plan to set some nucs up with a couple deep frames with bees and honey. and not from the parent hive.

-How long does the nuc have to be queenless?
-Can I just walk her in?
-I hear I need to get her moved quick or they may cut under the cage to get to her?
-Is there any harm in marking a virgin queen?

Any other comments. I realize moving and cutting cells is better but this is what I have at the moment.

John 3:16

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Introducing virgin queens
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:01:50 pm »
In my opinion the nuc will know their queenless in about 4hrs and definitely by 8hrs
I would put her in a queen transport cage with a candy plug to give them time to find and get used to her. Or maybe cut the foundation from the frame and insert it into the new frame in the nuc.
Pass on the thirds question
Nothing wrong with marking a virgin queen, only problem usually is finding them.

Cheers

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:49 pm »
In my opinion the nuc will know their queenless in about 4hrs and definitely by 8hrs
I would put her in a queen transport cage with a candy plug to give them time to find and get used to her. Or maybe cut the foundation from the frame and insert it into the new frame in the nuc.
Pass on the thirds question
Nothing wrong with marking a virgin queen, only problem usually is finding them.

Cheers

>Nothing wrong with marking a virgin queen, only problem usually is finding them.
Won't be hard she is under the cage

>I would put her in a queen transport cage with a candy plug to give them time to find and get used to her. Or maybe cut the foundation from the frame and insert it into the new frame in the nuc.
Obviously I have no experience with it or I would asking. But I have read they will ignore a virgin queen in a cage and she will starve? I have no idea?
John 3:16

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:02:42 pm »
1 1/2 to 2 hours, and I would just release her in the nuc. Yes, move her asap.
I don't mark queens, so don't know that one.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:18:14 am »
A virgin queen needs to get out reasonable quick to orientate and go on a mating flight.
In a queen cage you need to put some juvenile bees I with her to feed her.
If they realise they are queenless they should accept her OK.
We have taken a frame with a very young queen (when two queens have hatched at the same time and we have found both) and place the frame with young queen in a queenless hive, covered everybody in icing sugar, shut the hive and had success.

anything