Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Bee O Sphere" from Betterbee  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
"Bee O Sphere" from Betterbee
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:03:53 pm »
Has anyone used the Bee O Sphere from Better bee? Those that maybe have tried did you like them or have good luck with them? I recently purchased a box but can not figure out how they go together. The plastic frames are suppose to snap together but I cant make them stay. I used rubber bands on them and it is seeming to work.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: "Bee O Sphere" from Betterbee
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »
http://www.beebehavior.com/bee-o-pacOld.php    Click on the bottom pic. 

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »
very Nice, Thank you!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »
Let us know how well they work out for you.   I did not even get them out this year.   I have a few filled from 2 years ago that would not sell.  People seem to just want honey.   But they are neat to look at.  I use them to show people what honey comb is.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:04:41 pm »
Well got them sprayed with sugar water and placed in the box as directed. I will take them out tomorrow to the hives in the country due to the alfalfa will be blooming again soon. Ill let you know and hopefully get some pictures. I have to agree more people wanting honey but I have some people that really like comb honey so really Im doing this just for 3 people.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:06:07 pm »
Ok the box has been on the hive for almost three weeks. The bees have not even touched it. They were bulding comb on the bottom of the frames but there were only running though the box going from the kid to teh second deep. I think I just waisted $59.00. Oh by the way I did spray them with sugar water.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 09:31:38 pm »
Some people paint the back of them with wax to get the bees started.  And you have to have a booming hive with an excellent honey flow to make good comb honey.   If they don't work it this year, try again next year, but they need to be on during the start of the honey flow, then crowd the bees in there.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:27 pm »
Something else, are you using an excluder?  Don't use it with them.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 12:46:15 pm »
No excluder used on any of my hives. The commercial keeper pulled out his hives from the area and the fields are getting ready to start blooming again. SOme have already started. I have 2 miles worth of alfalfa fields starting from 20 feet from the hive and no other hives in the area. Funny thing is the one hive is booming, one hive is catching up but they still need to fill 5 frames on their second deep, and the third hive only has 4 frames in the first deep filled. I dont think they are even touching anything else. I dont think they will make it through winter. Anyway, if they dont touch the comb frames Ill pack it away at the end of August and try again. The farmer that is allowing me to put the hives at wants some comb and I didnt want to diappoint him.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 12:26:08 am »
The two pieces snap into each other and then you have to crimp those little protrusions where the go together.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 03:12:26 pm »
Time saver for sure. How do you get em past the queen excluder?
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24