Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: #5 hardware cloth  (Read 9075 times)

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
#5 hardware cloth
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:39:37 pm »
Anybody got a good source for a small roll?....   google is not working for me.....

Charlie

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: #5 hardware cloth
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:44:17 pm »
I got my local hardware store to order me a roll. I think it was 24" x 50' for less than $20.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:00:00 pm »
Steve,

What was the name of the store?  I think I have looked everywhere and ended up buy some from Betterbee.  I believe I used #8 though instead of #5.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:16:19 pm »
Betterbee and Brushy Mountain
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:11:44 pm »
My local hardware store is independent of a chain. I don't know the size number but I am talking about 1/8" mesh.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:53:17 am »
Steve,

What was the name of the store?  I think I have looked everywhere and ended up buy some from Betterbee.  I believe I used #8 though instead of #5.

Educate me!  When you talk about #8 or #5 hardware cloth what size are you talking about in inch grid/wires to the inch?

cundald
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:59:09 am »
#8 is 8 per inch or 1/8"
#5 is 5 per inch or 1/5"
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:05:26 pm »
My local independent hardware store has all the different sizes of hardware cloth in stock and they sell it by the foot.  It is worth asking around.

#8 is good for screen bottom boards, #4 for mouse excluders, and #5 for pollen traps. Assuming not small cell bees.
Rick

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 01:39:53 pm »
My local independent hardware store has all the different sizes of hardware cloth in stock and they sell it by the foot.  It is worth asking around.

#8 is good for screen bottom boards, #4 for mouse excluders, and #5 for pollen traps. Assuming not small cell bees.

What would you suggest for use under jars feeders, I am planning designing a feeder arrangement
that permits me to feed them thru holes in a top cover but prevents them from coming up thru.

cundald
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:43:59 pm »
What would you suggest for use under jars feeders, I am planning designing a feeder arrangement
that permits me to feed them thru holes in a top cover but prevents them from coming up thru.

cundald

#8 works fine for this

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 02:01:13 pm »
As Robo mentioned, use #8 (1/8" squares) when you want to restrict the movement of your bees.  If you make your own woodenware, use #8 hardware cloth on your screened bottomboards, ventilated inner covers, and to cover the feeding holes cut in a solid inner cover where you're going to use feeding jars or pails.  Also, you can use #8 to screen the entrance when you're transporting your colony.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.