Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queens from Old Sol  (Read 2526 times)

Offline mat

• House Bee
Queens from Old Sol
« on: August 21, 2008, 10:30:37 am »
I just received new queens from Old Sol Enterprises, OR yesterday. Has anybody used queens from them? They were very nice and looking healthy and vigorous but kind of small.
mat

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Queens from Old Sol
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:00:37 am »
I have noticed that "survivor" queens from most providers are on the small side. Darker often as well. I havent used old sol, but use purvis and pv queens which are similar.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:02:16 pm »
I know that there seems to be good demand for their queens.  I tried to get one and he said all of his were sold.  I think that bodes well. 

Very courteous and helpful on the phone too.
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 02:45:23 pm »
I have noticed that "survivor" queens from most providers are on the small side. Darker often as well. I havent used old sol, but use purvis and pv queens which are similar.

How are purvis brothers queens i was thinking about getting them and how much are they?

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:28:06 pm »

How are purvis brothers queens i was thinking about getting them and how much are they?

I buy them in conjunction w/ club and get a modest but appreciated discount. They seem to have a huge backlog for orders so timing can be hard. Mine also swarmed this spring but so did a lot of hives in our area. I will continue to use them and experiment w/ other providers as well. The more genetics, the better, particularly if supercedure takes place and you dont know it. Even commercial breeders will often send you sisters as queens, which will limit genetics in your yard. Since adding some ferals to my yard, my supercedures have improved.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:00:38 pm »

http://purvisbrothersbees.com/

here is the latest post about them
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13737.0.html
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic