Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who is first to try? Fully drawn synthetic [parrafin] comb  (Read 9584 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Who is first to try? Fully drawn synthetic [parrafin] comb
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 09:24:30 pm »
Phillip. I actually have watched this video before, and several like it. They are a practical encyclopidia of information, that earlier generations never had. HOWEVER, I wrote this off because I could not see how the scraping method worked with foundationless. Sure, I could easily scrape down to the surface of a plastic foundation frame, but how do you keep from going too deep into a foundationless frame, crossing through the middle of the comb into the opposite side? It seems I would accidentally scoop a hole all the way through. Is the layer of wax at the back of each cell thicker than the drawn out sides, and acting as a dividing wall between the two faces?

I fully understand you questioning this method and so did I.  Irregardless I tried it anyway. And as you stated I was worried about gouging a hole through my foundation therefore I went gently and easily at first and was amazingly shocked at how strong the drawn foundation seem to be. After my first frame I became more aggressive and did not lose one Piece of my foundation less wax. But as I have stated before, my foundation less  is reinforced with 15 pound eagle claw fishing line. Placed in the X pattern. This wax was freshly drawn this season, filled and capped with white wax. And as I also stated,  I do not know how this will work without any reinforcement, but I tend to believe if your foundation less is attached on all four sides you should not have a problem. I have yet to download Resize It perhaps now would be a good time. That way I can send pictures of this. 

Good video Phillip. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Alan.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 11:25:06 pm »
Is anyone besides me and a friend using skewers in the frames to strengthening foundationless  comb for extractor use. when building frames it seems faster than mono and they build comb  from the skewers

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 12:23:22 am »
This is my second attempt to post pictures. If this works you should be able to see two pictures of one of the frames after extraction and after being placed back in the box for cleaning. One picture of each side. If you zoom in and look closely, you should be able to faintly see the fishing line through the almost clear white wax. [attachment=0]
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 12:27:36 am »
I wrote this off because I could not see how the scraping method worked with foundationless. Sure, I could easily scrape down to the surface of a plastic foundation frame, but how do you keep from going too deep into a foundationless frame, crossing through the middle of the comb into the opposite side?
Why scoop?
Disclaimer - I have no experience with the following. I am new to this also but this is my plan but my bee club has an extractor that is loaned out. I have no intention of trashing comb the bees spent time and energy building.
see below from an old post:
The nine frame boxes or one frame short, you are speaking of, usually is in reference to a honey super. Even with honey supers you start with a full box of foundation 10 in a 10 frame box etc so they will draw it out evenly. Later after it is drawn comb you cut back one frame (in honey supers), 9 frames in a 10 frame box etc. This usually gives the bees incentive to drawn the frame out deeper and leaves extra comb extended outside the frame to make it easier to cut the honey comb with an uncapping knife.
Tom

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 12:57:35 am »
I don't think the picture came thru Phillip.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 01:29:23 am »
Thanks Alan, I have been trying for a long time via Jim?s instructions, something I am doing wrong. I started out with the suggested resize it 600 . That didnt work. I got the response (Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 800 KB) I have worked my down to 133X100 with the same results every time . I have checked and double checked the instructions. Undoubtedly something I am doing wrong .

@ Paus
No doubt the skewers will be stronger than the fishing line. Fishing line was suggested to me by three breeders from the start and that is what I have stuck with. There reasoning is super-ceding cells can be easily cut out, even through fishing line and placed into a mating nuc.  I will try your method in the future for the experience. I thank you for the suggestion.  I would have liked to posted the pictures for you all of what we was taking about here.  Really nice , neat, and clean foundation with what I described  in the above post.
Phillip

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 01:35:38 am »
Phillip - posting pics is a "pain-..." here. With that [half] said - I just repeatedly downsize until it accepts them ... usually 3 to 5 attempts for me.

Heck - nothing is perfect in this world - a little patience goes a long ways - imho. Fwiw.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 01:46:58 am »
Phillip - posting pics is a "pain-..." here. With that [half] said - I just repeatedly downsize until it accepts them ... usually 3 to 5 attempts for me.

Heck - nothing is perfect in this world - a little patience goes a long ways - imho. Fwiw.

Haa Haa thanks Alan, I need a lot of patience this time.. I will try again.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:57:07 am by Ben Framed »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 01:59:43 am »

Hee Hee thanks Alan, I need a lot of patience this time.. I will try again.

:cool: you'll get it Phillip.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 02:04:32 am »

Hee Hee thanks Alan, I need a lot of patience this time.. I will try again.

Phillip - I should say - stubbornness probably carried me the last 1/2 mile - after patience gave up -  :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 02:19:23 am »

You are again right Alan stubbornness did it!!  :grin:

No plastic here. This was after the frames had been placed back in the box for cleaning by the bees, Nice in my opinion.

The problem with posting was resize it app.. I switched to another app. Got it first time! . I will post more soon.
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:14:08 am by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 02:42:49 am »

That is how they look after a night of draining right after the scraping extraction method. No rips or  tears. Also almost all honey is retrieved, leaving very little for the bees to scrap up.

😊😁Now Bob, I went through a lot of trouble for you, to post this for you. ''Chuckles'' 😁 Seeing should be believing.. 😊😁.  Hopefully next year I will have enough hives going into spring that I will need an extractor. I am thinking paus is right,  skewers would be better for that.
Phillip

Alan thanks for coaching me through this process with your support. 😊😁
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:08:59 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 02:49:39 am »
This is how they look after a day back in the box. Front and back. Notice how nicely the bees incorporated the fishing line with their wax.

I apologize for the doubled up picture , hopefully my next time doing this will be much smoother  Below you will see the opposite side of the frame. I have heard of others bashing the fishing line method, I for one, like it. Yes, it does take a few seconds to install the fishing live but so does foundation? And if wire is embedded into wax foundation? These both take time also?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:37:20 am by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 03:05:17 am »
One more thing, I would suggest anyone who would like to post pictures for the first time, scrap the idea of resize it and go with ReSIZER. This recommendation is coming from experience: THE HARD WAY  :wink:.

Phillip

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 10:28:59 am »
1. Picture resizing. I have a phone app called Lit Photo, but what I usually do is send the pic from my phone to my laptop, then resize it with microsoft Paint, which is a little Windows accessory program that comes free with Windows. I can get it right on the 200kb size limit.
2. I kept looking for your replies on this thread for several days, before I saw that it began a page two. Why does it seem some threads run long on one page, while others start a page 2, 3, etc?
3. Phillip, You have sold me on trying it. Thanks for the pics and the encouragement. I had resigned myself to use the crush and strain method, and probably still will on the badly wonky frames. But, I will definitely use this method...though I don't expect any honey this first year. I want to leave them sufficient stores to not have to feed them this fall/winter.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 10:49:39 am »
Thanks Bob,

Phillip, You have sold me on trying it. Thanks for the pics and the encouragement. I had resigned myself to use the crush and strain method, and probably still will on the badly wonky frames. But, I will definitely use this method...though I don't expect any honey this first year. I want to leave them sufficient stores to not have to feed them this fall/winter

I was surprised at how much honey I retrieved from each frame. Since you were planning on crushing you have nothing to loose and foundation to gain. You might have said and I might have missed it, do you have any type support for your foundation-less? Let us know how this works out for you.
Phillip

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 01:09:32 pm »
Hey, hey, hey - you got it Phillip! I believed in you all the way  :cool:

Those are beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. I learned something new. Nicely done!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 01:18:21 pm »
I should add - I harvested (via extractor) this year. Most of my frames were foundationless. As long as they were attached on all sides, I didn't have a problem extracting. ... but I do like your fishing line method Phillip. I'll have to try that.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 01:19:40 pm »
Hey, hey, hey - you got it Phillip! I believed in you all the way  :cool:

Those are beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. I learned something new. Nicely done!

Thanks Alan, just passing along something useful as it was given to me. Happy to share.
Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 12:13:57 am »
1. Picture resizing. I have a phone app called Lit Photo, but what I usually do is send the pic from my phone to my laptop, then resize it with microsoft Paint, which is a little Windows accessory program that comes free with Windows. I can get it right on the 200kb size limit.
2. I kept looking for your replies on this thread for several days, before I saw that it began a page two. Why does it seem some threads run long on one page, while others start a page 2, 3, etc?
3. Phillip, You have sold me on trying it. Thanks for the pics and the encouragement. I had resigned myself to use the crush and strain method, and probably still will on the badly wonky frames. But, I will definitely use this method...though I don't expect any honey this first year. I want to leave them sufficient stores to not have to feed them this fall/winter.

Thanks Bob, I was using my phone but I will use your method on the computer in the future.
Phillip