Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Legal advice  (Read 15467 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Legal advice
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 10:42:18 am »
I can meet you in PA. and bring it the rest of the way on my permit.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/north-carolina-gun-laws/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 11:22:46 am »

I do not have the time to research making a gun legal to own when I have no idea of it's origin.

Only in a place like New York would that be a concern.  I could not prove the provenance of most of the guns I own.  To get a license to carry, you don't even have to own a gun.  You can rent one where you take the course.  You can rent guns before the course and fire different guns to determine which gun you feel most comfortable with.  In most states, unless the gun has been stolen and is in the NCIC data base, it's presumed to be legal.  To me, "making it legal" should be of no concern.

The way right to carry has evolved in Texas, a CHL is almost an impediment, since someone without a CHL has almost as much leeway to carry as soneone licensed, while certain actions by a license-holder can get hin/her in big trouble.

It's interesting that Vermont, that very liberal state near you, allows its citizens to carry without a license.  Shows that they trust their citizens, while New York, New Jersey and some others fear their citizens or something.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 02:03:30 pm »
Yeah Wally the right to bear arms is a federal issue not a state issue.  So why aren't the states laws thrown out the window and have it totally handled by the federal government?  Revenue.  Too much money being made on gun control.  I think the NRA has a big hand it that.
It is a federal right so it should be a federal regulation that is the same for every state.  Does any other country handle gun control on a state by state basis?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 11:15:35 am »
It's a constitutional matter, Ace.  The states are sovereign, so they have control over their own laws, insofar as it doesn't conflict with the US constitution.  It was this way 200 years before the NRA.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 04:59:09 pm »
The states are sovereign, so they have control over their own laws, insofar as it doesn't conflict with the US constitution.
But we know they do and as long as restrictions are going to be made or permits are going to be required then my feeling is it should be federal so the permit is valid in all states.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:14 pm »
The states are sovereign, so they have control over their own laws, insofar as it doesn't conflict with the US constitution.
But we know they do and as long as restrictions are going to be made or permits are going to be required then my feeling is it should be federal so the permit is valid in all states.

Should be and that's something the NRA has been supporting -- national reciprocity.  The problem is that there are states that refuse to issue permits to their own citizens (unless they are well-connected), so they sure aren't going to recognize permits from another state.  Then there are states that issue permits without any demonstration of knowledge of the laws or proficiency.  It's frightening that their permit holders should be accorded the same recognition as those from a state like Texas that require a day in the classroom (probably one of the most demanding states in this regard, but still insufficient, imho) plus range qualification.  What I see as reasonable is a uniform code to be adopted by the states and have reciprocity among all states that adopt the uniform code.  I've had a concealed carry permit or license in Texas since the law was adopted and i rarely carry out of state, even where my license is recognized by reciprocity, because there are minor differences in the rules governing how, when and where I can carry and I don't have time to learn the administrative rules for each state I travel through.  A uniform code spelling out the details for all jurisdictions adopting the code would certainly ease my mind.  As it is, Texas has made some changes in recent years that make me uneasy, such as qualifying with a .22 caliber revolver and then being able to carry a .45 semi-automatic. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 07:57:20 am »
What I see as reasonable is a uniform code to be adopted by the states and have reciprocity among all states that adopt the uniform code.
Makes some sense but it doubles the amount of government.  The only thing I see necessary for the state to do is list the no gun zone areas.  The NRA needs to get the heck out of government along with every other special interest.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 08:07:03 am »
Ace,
Makes some sense but it doubles the amount of government.  The only thing I see necessary for the state to do is list the no gun zone areas.

Brian,
The correct term is kill zone. No one can have a gun in these areas except the Mass murderer.
We never had these problems until the government started making kill zones.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 08:17:01 am »
Common Jim people have been killing each other since before Adam and Eve.  It is part of our animal instinct.  It is very unlikely it will go away.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 08:21:13 am »
Ace, there's a big difference in someone killing someone and a mass murder of strangers for no reason other than mental incapacity. Let's compare apples to apples here.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 08:32:39 am »
The problem is that the government gives them a safe place to kill a lot of people before the police can get their and stop them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 08:36:11 am »
Ace, there's a big difference in someone killing someone and a mass murder of strangers for no reason other than mental incapacity. Let's compare apples to apples here.
Wally they all have reasons.  Maybe not what you and I would call legitimate reasons but they are there.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 08:44:32 am »
The problem is that the government gives them a safe place to kill a lot of people before the police can get their and stop them.
Jim
Huh?  It is the police that want the no gun zones so they know that anyone in that area not wearing a uniform is a criminal and a fair target.
No system is perfect.  What might work in one area would not work in another.  I am sure if you asked a SWAT team they would prefer all the local law enforcement wasn't present to get in their way.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 10:23:57 am »
Jim
Huh?  It is the police that want the no gun zones so they know that anyone in that area not wearing a uniform is a criminal and a fair target.
That is what is called a War Zone.  The uniformed militarized police are free to fire upon anyone not wearing the correct uniform.  Zieg Heil!
Winter is coming.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 10:27:25 am »
Do you hear yourself?  Ace, you know that you are free to do your own thinking in this country.  Maybe you could try that instead of feeling everything.  At least think about it... :shocked:
Winter is coming.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 02:12:20 pm »
I suppose you think Jeffrey Dahmer had a reason, too. Maybe we should ban all frying pans to keep people from eating each other. Like hops said, maybe you should start thinking rather than feeling.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 05:05:35 pm »
Update:
Guns are gone.  My wife called the sheriff and let the secretary know that we found guns in a storage bin.  She wanted all kinds of information about the guns that my wife didn't know.  About 20 minutes later a Utica cop shows up at the gate and follows a customer through.  Typical stupid Utica cop.  Now what are you going to do buddy?  There is over 500 storage bins all locked.  Mind you we are not open yet.  Of course he comes back and my wife tells him to meet her at bin #...  The first thing the cops says is who would put guns in a storage bin?  I suppose the question should be who would turn them in?  Then he goes off on my wife for not having the keys to take off the trigger locks.  Honest to God how dumb do you have to be to be a cop?  Well anyway he would only take the guns and ammo and nothing else.
I think it was a good idea to call the sheriff because it involved two forms of law enforcement so the cop couldn't just walk off with the guns for himself.
BTW I looked as the Smith and Wesson closer this time it was a .357 magnum not a 45.
My wife said if she had to do it over again she would bury them in the back yard and flip law enforcement the bird.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 07:22:54 pm »
I would have bought them from you.
Jims
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 10:37:38 pm »
Any licensed firearms dealer would have bought them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 08:47:27 am »
Heck Jim, If Wally wanted to drive just another 70 miles north into NY from PA I would have given him them.  Then he could have brought them to the next beefest and we all could have done some target shooting.  I understand why Wally did not want to come to this state and pick them up.  I hope you all understand why I did not want to traffic them out of the state.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything