Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: a cute beekeeping thing I read today  (Read 2397 times)

Offline hannabee

• New Bee
a cute beekeeping thing I read today
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:04:39 pm »
today I read this cute thing that said "if a bee lands on you know youre special because It confused you for a flower" now I know this is not necessarily true but I found it adorable
eat cheese, plants trees, and save the bees

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: a cute beekeeping thing I read today
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 02:48:21 am »
That's really neat.  :happy: I bet it happens.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 08:44:58 am »
I?ll bet she is carrying a full load of nectar and she is really tired and was looking for anything she could land on.
😁
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:36:04 am »
Just recently I had to work the hives at 8 degrees Celsius, as a storm hit on me. the bees crawled in pounds under my jacket.
boy, I must be a lucky guy!

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:59:41 am »
Cool, Jim, Van:  if a bee lands on any of us three, I don?t think the bee believes she has found a rose, more like a noxious weed flower..  don?t ya think?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 12:43:12 pm »
Just recently I had to work the hives at 8 degrees Celsius, as a storm hit on me. the bees crawled in pounds under my jacket.
boy, I must be a lucky guy!

Blackforest - you had me laughing again! Oh you are so lucky!!  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 12:44:45 pm »
Well Van - maybe we're just not as nice as Hannabee.  :grin:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 01:08:35 pm »
Sometimes, especially if you have scent on, it IS because they confused you for a flower.  But often they are just tired and resting.  I always find it pleasant when I'm not in the beeyard and a bee lands on me to rest.  In the bee yard they also may be resting but they also may be trying to find a way into my jacket or veil...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 01:14:13 pm »
I was helping with a bee class once and I ate a BANANA just before the class.  Lots of bees lite on my hand and lite up my hands.  Not good.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 01:39:44 pm »
Hardwood brought up the banana topic many years ago while doing a video for BeeMaster. He sat next to a hive eating a banana while working on a hive. The bees paid him no mind. I later did myself just to verify and I had the same reaction. I had heard for years that you should not eat bananas before working in your hives.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 02:19:24 pm »
I also questioned this but some of the others at class had a good laugh and said you should know better, I never heard about bananas smelling like alarm pheromone  until then.  I don't take a chance anymore.  Maybe I'll get brave enough to try that.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 02:34:07 pm »
Nice bees don't respond very much to alarm pheromone.  Defensive bees do.  The smell of banana does have some of what is in alarm pheromone.

Alarm pheromone: isopentyl acetate (IPA), butyl acetate, 1-hexanol, n-butanol, 1-octanol, hexyl acetate, octyl acetate, n-pentyl acetate and 2-nonanol
Artificial Banana:  isopentyl acetate
Banana smell:  isopentyl acetate
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 04:05:37 pm »
I was helping with a bee class once and I ate a BANANA just before the class.  Lots of bees lite on my hand and lite up my hands.  Not good.

they experienced a dearth, i presume``?

Offline hannabee

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 07:36:50 pm »
my house is surrounded by mason bees, and occasionally they land on me, always makes my day
eat cheese, plants trees, and save the bees

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 09:12:38 pm »
I love when the little green sweat bees land on me for a salty drink.  I like to see their little tongues.  :tongue: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Abuelita

• Brood
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 12:59:20 am »
My girls just like to check out what I'm doing when I'm outside - anywhere. They wil stop and sit on my leg or arm and just see what I'm up to. I was on the roof a couple of months ago and had 3 different bees stop to say hello, and I always talk to them. I got to wondering if they would alert someone if I fell off. My golden retriever was sitting by the ladder but I'm not convinced that she'd have the sense to 'go tell Dad that Jimmy was in trouble.' 

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 06:30:22 pm »
My girls just like to check out what I'm doing when I'm outside - anywhere. They wil stop and sit on my leg or arm and just see what I'm up to. I was on the roof a couple of months ago and had 3 different bees stop to say hello, and I always talk to them. I got to wondering if they would alert someone if I fell off. My golden retriever was sitting by the ladder but I'm not convinced that she'd have the sense to 'go tell Dad that Jimmy was in trouble.' 
Welcome to the forum!  After I installed my first 2 packages, my family and I were just sitting and watching the bees get settled at a distance of, I don't know, maybe 20 ft. away?  (I'm bad at judging distances.)  As the bees were taking their orientation flights, some would circle out our way and land on us.  It was a great sort of bonding experience at the beginning of my beekeeping, since I had never worked with bees before that day, and it was a great opportunity to show my family, some members of which were not very confident around the bees, that the bees really weren't dangerous in any capacity as long as they were treated with respect. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 06:50:25 pm »
I wonder if a bee lands on me, does the bee think I am flower or noxious weed.  My concern is the latter is prevalent.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 10:04:48 am »
I wonder if a bee lands on me, does the bee think I am flower or noxious weed.  My concern is the latter is prevalent.
Blessings
Van, you posted that in April. So you?re still struggling. I?d Amit a variety of reasons- maybe some need their tires rotated or oil changed!!
But I digress, of course your a flower. Maybe a cactus flower but a flower
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 10:13:23 am »
Oil change?  Oh Salty, if only I could get a tune up.  I?m running on 7, but still running.  Lol
Again, thanks Salty for the post of green and flowers.  Now that was warming to my heart.
Blessings