Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: first swarm of the year  (Read 945 times)

Offline cao

• Super Bee
first swarm of the year
« on: March 30, 2024, 01:37:11 am »
I was reading on another post this morning about a swarm moving into a trap.  I was thinking it was a little early for swarms although it has been warmer than normal.  I am planning on going through some of my hives tomorrow, so I was getting some boxes and other equipment out that I know I will need and what do I see.  You guessed it, a swarm hanging in an apple tree.  I knew after going through my hives earlier that it was going to be an early year but, I thought I had another week.   :shocked: Time to do some splitting with those swarm cells.  Just need to find out which one swarmed.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Re: first swarm of the year
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 01:39:01 am »
Glad you were able to put them in a new residence
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 01:56:17 am »
Thanks for the post and heads up Cao. Looks like the new season is here since both you and Occam have reported! You are further North than me so I had better go back and check again soon!

Thanks for the picture also. That is a sight I can?t help but enjoy. It?s the retrieving that is fun!). 😊

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 10:12:32 am »
I'm jealous. You're actually north of me and I believe a little colder. I'll have to keep an eye on my swarm trap. I'd love to catch them in the act. Imma have to see if one of my cams will work out that far so I can look from the comfort of my Lay-Z-Boy.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 11:00:11 am »
That looks like a nice one.  Still some time here I think.  Frost this AM, but the days are getting warmer and the dandelions are out along with some of the fruit trees!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 11:20:51 am »
I guess that this is a result of several things.  I had several strong hives that I left extra honey on them last fall.  Also we had a mild winter this year.  Plus since they were flying early, I had pollen substitute out for them early this spring.  I guess the empty boxes that I added to them earlier wasn't enough to stop them from swarming.  They have just surprised me since the apple trees haven't started to bloom yet.

anything