Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee removal from Bar  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Bee removal from Bar
« on: January 21, 2007, 07:29:49 pm »
I just got back from Valencia about 30 miles north of L A.I cut this hive of bees out of a Bar.The bees had drawn the comb down into the wine goblets also.This is the biggest hive I had ever cut out before 6 big combs of white and Yellow honey.The combs were about 18' x 24 " . 4 combs of brood.A couple zillon bees I took them up to China town were I keep my bees I give them a box of small cell comb also.I can't wait to see how they do.The people were really nice they tried to give me ahundred dollars but I told them to give it to there Church.They video taped it so when they send me a DVD I'll see about posting it some how
Isn't nature great
Kirk-o
I like Bugs
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Bee removal from Bar
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:37:34 pm »
When you get the dvd you can post video at photobucket.com
I would really like to see some of the footage!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:49:12 pm »
Were you able to find the queen?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:54:17 pm »
question about the queen for you guys:  if you don't get the queen, do you combine your rescue with a hive you already have?  i plan on trying to get that hive out of the barn next weekend weather permitting, and would love to know what you guys do.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 07:57:58 pm »
question about the queen for you guys:  if you don't get the queen, do you combine your rescue with a hive you already have?  i plan on trying to get that hive out of the barn next weekend weather permitting, and would love to know what you guys do.
In my case I will do a combine. I have a small hive that will do well with the extra bees.

If I have no hives that could use them I will order a queen and make them a seperate hive.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 08:15:31 pm »
Kirk-o.  what a trip.  That must have been a very exciting catch.  This area of beekeeping is pretty interesting and I love to hear the adventures of you guys that do this bee removal.  Keep the stories coming on.  and ya, put on the video, I am going to check out photobucket and see what is up there.  I keep hearing about this site.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 08:27:03 pm »
Yes I got the queen.After I cut out the brood and put that in the frames with elastic bands.I took the doors off and shook the bees on the top of the frames.I then took the doors awyay and leaned the res of the bar over the hive and brushed them in .I then took a break to see if the bees would stay in the hive .came back half hour later and brushed soom more bee off and into the hive.I waited another half hour most of the bees were either in or on the hive.I noticed a cluster of bees about the size of a quart bottle in the corner put a box under them brushed them in dumped on top of the frames.Took a break for half hour smoked them into the hive brushed the rest in put on lid .Duct taped all the seams taped on the top closed the entrance loaded them  in the truck cleaned up .Drove to China town Muled them up the hill on a hand truck got them situated.Removed the entrance block walked away.Doing crush and strain now with honey.Note:I had a top I made with holes in the top with screen so they would suffocate .

Probably 8 or 9 pounds of bees

I'm sure I got the queen if not I can combine them with another hive I have
All my bees are feral bees and doing good
small cell to
isn't Mother Nature Great
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:35:48 pm »
kirk-o, simply amazing.  It is quite a lengthy time process I see.  What a conquest and I hope one day to do that same thing.  You must be familiar with the bee removal stuff.  Every adventure that I read about people doing this intrigues me more and more and I can't wait to encounter these things myself.  Well, one day, for now I'll just tend my own group of bees.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:44:06 pm »
But you didn't actually see her did you?

The problem for me when I do a cut out  is that I always nervous that the bees protect the queen by putting in a cell and that I end up cuting through that cell. I am always paranoid that if I don't see her I have hurt or killed her.

Capped brood is nice but it takes uncapped brood cells to make a replacement queen and a month of down time. So if I don't see a queen and an inspection later on shows no new brood or I see supercedure cells I will combine these guys with another hive. If I can't combine them I will order another queen.

Maybe it is just me but I find it darn hard to find the queen in my hives. In a feral hive it is a needle in a haystack. She manages to blend in well with 40,000 other bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 10:01:10 pm »
You Know I don't try to find the Queen during a cut out.I just watch for the right INDICATORS ifg the queen is in the box so goes the Bees if she isn't they go were she is .I removed bees from a bee hpuse two years ago .Tied the brood and honey in the frames scooped up the bees the bees kept going back to the bird house took the bid house of the post put on top of hive brushed them in got the quee bees stayed in the hive put bird house up .In a week or so I'll look for the queen .Its hard to find the queen sometimes in the CAOS
I love feral bees
kirk-0

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 10:28:07 pm »
I'm thinking about what you guys are saying. It sounds like finding feral colonies is a frequent occurrence in the southern parts.  I have been living on my property for over 17 years now, and I am practically outside 365 days a year working my place.  That may be a bit of an exageration, but I would say maybe short 30 days of this figure.  The only time during my many years outside have I ever seen a swarm of bees was the summer before last.  And I caught it.  I have never seen feral colonies.  Maybe not such a common thing in our climate.  I don't know.

I remember when I saw that swarm of bees.  I was going out to go to the store and my vehicle was parked out the back of my house, a reasonable distance from the apiary.  When I came outside of my yard part, I heard this incredible noise.  It scared the pants off me.  It seemed to be coming from up around the bee yard, but there was nothing there.  I thought maybe there was a bear (that's how loud it was) that was doing something weird with his noisy voice.  That is the only sound that I could even possibly begin to liken it to.

It wasn't until a few minutes later that I saw the swarm coming from the bush.  I stood there with my mouth just hanging open because I had never seen a bee swarm before.  It was a simply amazing site and man was I excited, that being my first year of beekeeping.  to make a long story short, the bees were so high up in the tree some fellow members of my beeclub came out and helped me get it.  Actually they did all the work, they wanted to teach me how to catch a swarm, so I assisted and watched.  It was so high inthe tree that they had to use an extension ladder and a bee vacuuum.  It was fun.  I want to have other bees come to my place so I can increase my bee volume next year.  I plan on buying some packages, but it would sure be nice to catch a few swarms if they come my way.  Or if a friend phones me to come and help get one somewhere else.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 10:36:47 pm »
I'm thinking about what you guys are saying. It sounds like finding feral colonies is a frequent occurrence in the southern parts. 

I am not sure about others but in Florida, feral colonies are a very common occurance. This hive I removed from the compost bin lead to two others. Two houses down has a colony under the shed that has been there for three years. I have another one across the street from the compost bin. I have one in Ft. Lauderdale in a roof sophet.

I am sure Kirk-o has plenty also.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 10:42:08 pm »
Guess they breed all year around, not like here, where they shut down for a couple of months.  Great day. Cindi

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 11:21:33 pm »
Oh yeah I have seen swarms almost every month of the year down here.The ferral bees I have are pretty hardy my purchased bees don't or haven't done to well
kri-o

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 11:36:54 pm »
OK, right.  Now up around where I live, the only time that anyone would EVER catch a swarm would be from about the beginning of May to probably the middle of August, at the very very latest.  This is the busy time for the beekeeper here with regard to ensuring that the colonies have enough room so they don't swarm. So funny how the climates are incredibly different from each other.  And really, it is not that very very far, when you look at the size of the world in itself.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 11:41:13 pm »
And really, it is not that very very far, when you look at the size of the world in itself.  Great day.  Cindi

I use to drive the big rigs. I went from Miami Florida to Prince Rupert B.C. once. I thought that trip would never end.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 01:48:45 am »
Now that was a a big trip, Prince Rupert is halfway up the coast of B.C.  Substantially further north than I am even.  Great day.  Bet you saw alot of beautiful scenery through your country and mine.  Cindi

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 06:40:40 pm »
I went and checked my cut out bees today they are really doing good pollen and honey comming in rubber bans going out
kirk-o

anything