Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45687 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Varroa detected in Australia
« on: June 24, 2022, 02:36:24 am »
Please read this press release:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2022-06-24/varroa-mite-detected-at-newcastle-port/101180446

This is not an ideal time to inspect hives in many parts of Australia...BUT if at all possible I urge beekeepers to check hives, do an Alcohol Wash if you are anywhere near the location.

I have written to the Federal Minister for Ag and hope that if enough beekeepers write, swift action will follow.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:12:09 am by The15thMember »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Varroa dedected in Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 02:39:57 am »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 08:55:10 am »
Max that is big news, but not good news. I hope y'all have caught the situation in time. I have a question, does your country have wild bees, (feral hives), in the same area? If so, these could become 'uninhibited' breeding grounds for Varroa Destructor.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 10:46:40 am »
Oh man, hopefully you guys can somehow get it under control before it spreads.  What a shame. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 08:27:24 pm »
Hi Ben,

Newcastle is quite a long way away from us here and I'm not up with the local situation.

I would assume that there would be wild nests of honey bees in the forested areas near the port - say withing 5 km.

SHB have knocked the wild population here and I would expect a similar situation there.

The information is still poor. I understand that the swarm was found at the port but ...maybe on an arriving ship? I will keep you posted.

I have sent out e-mails to many beekeeping friends but mostly elderly they often don't use e-mails as a means of communication.
I'm partially deaf and hardly use the phone.

I will visit a good beekeeping friend who has connections with the beekeeping organisations.

max

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 08:31:10 pm »
Thhis has just come in:

https://honeybee.org.au/varroa-mite-detected-at-the-port-of-newcastle/

It looks like the authorities are taking it seriously....and have success!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 10:36:44 pm »
Thanks Max, wishing you the best.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 12:41:00 pm »
Hi Max, I have sent to you a PM.

Below is a video just put out by Richard Noel of Brittany France. Richard is a hard enemy of Varroa Destructor. I introduced Richard previously a couple years ago here at Beemaster on another topic. See the topic here at Beemaster: "Treat for No Treaters"

Richard, as we are, is VERY concerned about (Varroa Destructors') recently found presence in your Australia. Hopefully these concerns will be short lived as the beekeeping community in your country will have things nicely under control. I am enclosing a video he just put out with some of his thoughts on the matter.

Phillip

https://youtu.be/dD7mb-zD2yY
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 01:02:45 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 05:01:40 pm »
Thanks for your support guys....fingers crossed Max!

We have been through this before in the port of Townsville which is up here in North QLD and we managed to contain it. Let's hope we have been successful this time as well.

Arrrh...very scary!

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 07:38:16 pm »
Yes, thanks for the video and concern.

I have written to the fellow who is in charge of the operation and will keep you posted if I hear some news.

Lots of questions...

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 02:27:32 am »
Here is the lastest:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2022-06-27/beekeepers-suffer-multi-million-dollar-set-back-deadly-parasite/101185494

I had a meeting with 3 other beekeepers - professional ones, not small hobby ones. Interesting to note that the avearage age of the four of us is 74!

I understand that the beekeepers who have their hives destroyed will be compensated .

As you can see in the article noy only are beekeeprs affected but with the movemnet of hives banned for now, the Almond industry and other Horticultural crops will be affected.

It may well be the wake-up call the country and our leaders needs.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 09:04:05 pm »
Thanks for the updates Max.

Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 12:06:07 pm »
Max, am I correct in remembering that varroa was introduced to Australia several years ago, like 2014 I think, and was successfully eradicated?  I feel like I remember seeing articles from around that time and it was gotten under control again, but maybe I'm incorrect. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2022, 07:12:18 pm »
You are correct.
I think they found Asian Bees in the Cairns area and the area was declared varroa free some time back.

It seems this incursion is much more serious.

Reading between the lines ( I hope I'm wrong) this time varroa was around for some time before it was noticed.

Of course we all hope that it can be erradicated - time will tell.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 12:27:39 am »
Not good Max

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 12:28:18 am »
It had once seemed to me that a 'thought to be' blind, slow moving, tick looking tiny bug would be slow to move, slow to spread. However, after viewing a video that The15Member posted here a time ago, showing a varroa mite 'seeming to jump' as a paper clip might be drawn to a magnet. The speed and distance of the varroas' move was a real eye opener for me. Perhaps Reagan will repost it here for you all if she can can find it...

Phillip

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 05:53:37 am »
At will be very difficult to get rid of all the Varroa );

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/