Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Distance from apiary to swarm capture location  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Distance from apiary to swarm capture location
« on: October 06, 2007, 01:26:47 pm »
So, around the 6th of September, you will all remember that I caught a swarm at my family reunion.  Me, being the Mrs. Know-it-all, contended that it could not have possibly come from my colony  :( ;) :)

After some few days, and a few heavy duty thinking periods, I had thought I better get off my high horse and see if it was issued from one of my colonies.  Yep, in the Carniolan colony, sure enough there was that pretty little virgin queen, with not a single egg in that hive. 

You would have thunk, by looking at this picture, that maybe I would have realized that probably, this was my group of naughty bees that took off.  My apiary is just to the right of the bear fence that you see.  So, again, I climb down off my high horse, and admit that I did some lousy beekeeping with regard to watching for colonies getting too big.  They didn't look like they would have swarmed, and the likelihood of a swarm in September in our area, I think would be remote, and kind of dumb for the bees to issue.  But...as I have heard time and time again, the bees know best (but I actually don't think that they really do.)  Have a wonderful day, love our life we're livin'.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Distance from apiary to swarm capture location
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 06:23:19 pm »
No worries. It's called learning. If you stop doing that. Than you might have something to worry about.

This is what makes beekeeping fun.
 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Distance from apiary to swarm capture location
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 09:48:32 pm »
No worries. It's called learning. If you stop doing that...

...it's time to write your own beekeeping guide.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

anything