Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with shattered wax foundation  (Read 3585 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
What to do with shattered wax foundation
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:21:31 pm »
Well, so I wouldn't eat it, I opened my downstairs freezer compartment on my basement refrigerator to store the Halloween candy.  When I opened the freezer compartment door, a box of 7-11 foundation that I had put in the freezer to protect from wax moths, crashed to the floor and all of the foundation shattered into triangular shards......boo hiss.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't melt that wax to make candles with it?  I don't know if it has remnants of poison in the wax from the manufacturer (Walter T. Kelly) so I don't want to make it into anything like lip balm, but candles ought to be OK, I should think.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: What to do with shattered wax foundation
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:16:21 am »
I have some small cell wax foundation laying around that I opened two years ago. Used it to make starter strips then just went foundationless. Not a bug in it. Not sure you needed to freeze yours but now that you have..... Slice it up and use it as starter strips. Make candles.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:23:04 am »
I just stack mine flat in the basement.  But now you need to decide what to do with it.  It's expensive wax, but it's fine wax.  The 7/11 is nice white wax and can be used for anything you use wax for.  If you're doing starter strips you could even piece it back together, but it sounds like more work than it's worth.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:27:01 am »
It makes me sad to lose all of that lovely 7/11 but it's not redeemable - unless the bees want to start with a 1 1/2" triangle - it won't work as a starter strip.  So I've learned a lesson about not freezing it and will melt it into some other configuration, I guess. 

The 7/11 I took out of the box and used for the hives resulted in some beautiful cut comb boxed honey that brings oohs and aahs both with the view and with the taste.

Expensive lesson!

Linda T always learning the hard way in Atlanta

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:10:04 am »
i was given some that was  pretty broken up.  i melted it and it was nice for candles, etc.  already clean.

i also used some to secure my starter strips to the frames.  again, it melted easier and was cleaner than the stuff from the hive.

all is not lost.  you'll find ways to use it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 08:02:13 pm »
>I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. -Dune-

One of my favorite quotes.  Thanks.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 08:38:15 pm »
the larger pieces WILL make acceptable starters.  they don't need to run the whole length of the frame. i often use small chunks like you mentioned.  just think now how many frames you can use them on  ;)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 09:27:44 pm »
michael, that came to mind as the back door slammed open at 5 am because of the wind. i couldn't figure out how to get my shirt on with a gun in my hand  :-). neither my shirt nor my gun were of any use!   time to practice mind control again! 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 09:39:40 pm »
Dune oh yeah Dune thats were its at Michael
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline rantcliff

• New Bee
    • Antcliff Farms
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:39:52 pm »
I am sorry for the newbee question - but, what is 7/11 foundation?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:45:25 pm »
The cells are larger and it is perfect for cut comb honey - big, soft cells -   Walter T. Kelley sells it.  You only use it in honey supers - the bees won't put brood in it - the cells are too large.  Here's the Walter T. Kelley ad:

http://go.netgrab.com/secure/kelleystore/asp/product.asp?product=114

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 10:19:26 pm »
michael, that came to mind as the back door slammed open at 5 am because of the wind. i couldn't figure out how to get my shirt on with a gun in my hand  :-). neither my shirt nor my gun were of any use!   time to practice mind control again! 

Use a vest, I wear a vest year around instead of a coat. The arm holes are big enough so that a 9mm or 45 cal fits through while firmly griped in hand and covers up the most revealing parts of the anatomy.  I like a vest because it helps hide STB or strong side holsters with up to 6 inch barrels.  I tell people my wool vest does the same thing for me it does for the sheep, keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. 

I wrote this at a recent writer's group meeting:  Conquering fear conquers death.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:31:33 pm »
i'll drop a vest by the bed....although.....it occurred to me after the fact that a naked over the hill woman coming at a bugler might be every bit as effective as the gun.   :evil:

we have had some problems around with middle of the night home invasion things.  some have gotten nasty.  only one homeowner was armed and he shot the guy.  god bless urban sprawl and mass transit.  it makes crime so much more convenient!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 12:35:52 am »
Back in the teen years my mom caught me outside investigating a sound I heard. She asked what I would have done if I found someone out there.... "Piss on them?"  :shock:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/