Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A good beginner's book about top bar hive beekeeping?  (Read 14100 times)

Offline snowdog

• New Bee
A good beginner's book about top bar hive beekeeping?
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:05:38 pm »
I have "the practical beekeeper" by Michael Bush and would like to have something like a top bar beekeeper's paperback version of that. Do you know of a book that would fit the description?
all human societies will be judged on how well they take care of the weak.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: A good beginner's book about top bar hive beekeeping?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:49:33 am »
I have one chapter on just top bar hives, but the rest is pretty much bees.  Bees are bees whatever size box they are in...  But Chandler's book is entirely top bar hives.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline snowdog

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:34:56 am »
Michael, i like your book very much. So much that intend to keep it. But i'm looking for a book to give to a friend.

I have the book mentioned by nietssemaj too, but it lacks advice for top bar hives in cold climates. The hive designs are quite similar, though.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:33:52 am »
There is one coming out soon I think... but it's not out yet...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline snowdog

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:39:01 pm »
There is one coming out soon I think... but it's not out yet...

Oh... I see... when do you start selling it?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »
Not mine, although I might do that sometime, but Christy Hemenway is writing one that I think will be out soon.
-------------------

Offline snowdog

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:22:19 am »
Not mine, although I might do that sometime, but Christy Hemenway is writing one that I think will be out soon.

Christy has really good videos that explain important aspects of beekeeping with top bar hives. It is good news indeed that she is writing a book. Something to look forward to.

Michael, you really should consider compiling a top bar book of your own. All the bits and pieces are already available on your site. What i'm hoping for is a book that describes the seasons of a top bar hive and the work needed at certain times. Not a hard coded calendar, month by month, but one with the dates replaced by natural events.

I could even help write such a book as a net apprentice. The experience would indeed be a good salary.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:12:17 am »
I had plans to work on one eventually.  I just haven't had the time... time is always an issue.  :)
-------------------

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 05:30:44 am »
Michael,

Which, "Chandler" book"?  What's the title?  Is that the free e-book?

Offline snowdog

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 07:41:50 am »
I had plans to work on one eventually.  I just haven't had the time... time is always an issue.  :)

I hope you will find time soon.

Christy's book is probably worth waiting for. With some luck it'll be on the market before my friend's birthday.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:27:41 am »
>Which, "Chandler" book"?  What's the title?  Is that the free e-book?

The name is "The §¤«£¿æ".  I don't think its available anywhere for free but I have seen it for sale various places, including Lulu (as both ebook and book) and some other independent ebook places and in book form on Amazon.  I think he has the plans for free on his web site.  http://www.§¤«£¿æ.com/
-------------------

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 05:48:37 am »
Michael, can you post that again? The forum software did something funky to the title and link to his site.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 07:56:56 am »
Hmmm.... guess I forgot about that.  Mr. Chandler managed to get himself and any reference to himself removed forum this forum.  Which, I suppose brings up the downside.  Mr. Chandler is a bit strident...  I guess you'll have to find it on your own... but a search on "Chandler" and "Top Bar Hives" should work...
-------------------

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 05:59:03 am »
Thanks, Michael.

Offline Wonga

• House Bee
  • The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refill
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 04:52:39 am »

I found "The Bee-friendly Beekeeper A sustainable approach" by David Heaf to be an excellent introduction to the philosophy and practice of top bar beekeeping. Its all you need to do it.

It even has plans for the Warre hive. I got it on line, I think from ABE. It is about top bar beekeeping, mainly Warre, but also Kenyan and other types too. David Heaf is British and the book is published in the UK by Northern Bee books.  Cheers

Offline triple7sss

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 02:09:54 pm »
I believe this one is due out shortly...(I can't post a link - too new)...and if you search for it on Amazon they're taking pre-orders.

The Thinking Beekeeper: A Guide to Natural Beekeeping in Top Bar Hives
by Christy Hemenway

Offline Stuartmc

• Brood
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 09:41:36 pm »
Dr. Wyatt A. Mangum, who writes a monthly article in ABJ called “Honey Bee Biology”, is also publishing a 400+ page book on top-bar hives this summer.   It sounds like it'll be a good year for tbh books!!

Stuart

Offline Roy Coates

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 08:17:50 am »
I have the "practical beekeeper" By Michael and the "§¤«£¿æ" by §¤«£¿æ both excellent resources. I am halfway through "Top Bar Hive Beekeeping by Dr W.A. Magnum which is another excellent resource and Dr Wyatt writes with a unique style that I enjoy. As I see it all three meet the criteria you are looking for and should be in in top bar beekeepers library. I would , in retrospect, have started with Dr Wyatt's book. He shows a lot of creative ideas geared towards top bars. Like Mr Bush shows  and teaches everything you need to know about rearing queens as does Dr Wyatt, in addition Dr Wyatt shows how and why he built queen cages(and many other things) specifically for top bar hives. I know this is an older topic and I feel it was worth bringing up

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 04:03:19 pm »
Les Crowder is coming out with (or it just came out) a book on top bar hive beekeeping.  I'm looking forward to reading it.
-------------------

Offline patrickmann

• Brood
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:51 pm »
The Les Crowder book is available now: "Top-Bar Beekeeping: Organic Practices for Honeybee Health"

anything